Find out how to get started as we support you on your journey.
Congratulations! You’re almost at the end of your journey as a student and about to embark on your new, exciting career in physiotherapy.
What happens to your CSP student membership (or associate student membership) when you graduate? You don’t have to worry about a thing. We will automatically transfer you to our graduate affiliate category at the end of your degree. This is to make sure you can still access your membership benefits and stay in the loop while you are awaiting your HCPC registration.
Why become a chartered member?
CSP membership gives you guidance, support and resources to get the best start in your career.
Find your first job
- Having chartered status can open up doors for you as many employers prefer this badge of excellence as it helps demonstrate you stay up to date and relevant. It can also help you stand out from your colleagues by using the designation ‘MCSP’ letters.
- Find your first role by browsing our job vacancies and set up alerts for vacancies that most interest you
- Access member-only tips on preparing your CV, applying for jobs, and acing your interviews.
Connect with a mentor
- Connect with a fellow physiotherapist who has been in the exact same position as you are as a recent grad. Learn from their words of wisdom as you embark on your working life and grow your personal development skills.
Engage with your community
- Find out what’s happening in your area and take part in local member events held by your Regional Network or Country Board. You can also get free access to member events and a discounted Physiotherapy UK conference ticket.
- Connect, ask questions and share knowledge with peers on iCSP, our member-only online community that is home to over 60 specialty forums.
Continue your professional development
- Access valuable learning resources and keep track of your CPD through the Learning Hub and ePortfolio.
- Stay up to date with the latest news in our award-winning members’ magazine Frontline, plus weekly email bulletins and our quarterly Physiotherapy eJournal.
- Relax knowing you’re covered with professional liability insurance and have access to comprehensive legal services if you ever need it.
- trade union officers, stewards and safety reps.
Helen Preston BSc (HONS) MCSP, Chartered Member since 1996
When I’m hiring somebody into my physiotherapy team, I always ask for chartered membership as a prerequisite to applying as it’s a professional level of qualification that reflects our legal and professional status.
Become a Chartered Physiotherapist in two easy steps
You’ve done the hard part by completing your degree – well done! Now there are just two easy steps before you can call yourself a chartered physiotherapist and become part of the largest physio community.
Step 1: Register with the HCPC
After graduating and in order to practise as a physiotherapist in any capacity in the UK, you need to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Don’t worry, it’s quick and easy to apply.
To register, you can download the application form on the HCPC website or contact them directly by emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 500 4472. Alternatively, your university should keep a stock of registration forms for you to use.
Step 2: Join or upgrade your membership to a chartered member
Once you have registered with the HCPC and you have your pin, you’re ready to get yourself chartered! Student members who upgrade within 18 months of their course end date receive their first 3 months of chartered membership for free. This is worth over £90!
Once you're a chartered physiotherapist you can...
- Call yourself a chartered physiotherapist and add MCSP after your name for that extra professional edge
- Do the job you love safe in the knowledge you’re protected by our professional liability insurance*.
- Lean on us if you have a work-place issue and need expert legal and employment advice
- Receive export representation at work through the CSP’s network of trade union officers stewards and safety reps
Cost of membership for 2021
The cost of qualified membership is £31.87 per month.
The new membership subscription year starts on 1 January 2021. Renewal notices will be sent in October 2021. Expand the box below to calculate your fee for the remaining year.
Fees for the rest of 2021
|Joining in||Month of first payment||Membership fee|
Still deciding on what to do after you graduate?
Don’t worry, we’re by your side.
As a CSP student/associate student member, you’re automatically transferred to our graduate affiliate category once your course finishes. This means you can stay in the loop and continue to access your member resources including CSP networks, ePortfolio and library services. We’ll even give you 12 months’ free access while you’re deciding on your next steps.
Remember though, if you’re working you won’t have Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) or workplace support and guidance.
If you need more time to decide on your options but want to stay connected to the CSP, graduate affiliate membership costs £5 per month or £60 per year. Get in touch with the Enquiries Team on 020 7306 6666 or email email@example.com for more information.