Income tax relief

Our guidance on claiming tax relief for physiotherapists, associate members or those in related employment.

As a CSP member and UK taxpayer you may be able to claim tax relief on certain expenses, including your CSP membership fee, that you incur whilst carrying out your job.

What expenses can I claim relief on?

Visit the HMRC website for full details of what you can claim

You can only claim relief on expenditure for your work and you can’t claim for expenditure that your employer will reimburse.

How do I make a claim?

Tax relief is normally given through your tax code issued by HMRC and the quickest way to claim is through your online tax account. You will need a Government Gateway account.

However, there are other ways to claim as well:-

  • If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, you must claim through your tax return instead.
  • If you can't claim online you can claim by post or phone

HMRC advise that you claim directly from them to gain 100% of the benefit rather than using a third-party agent.

How far back can I claim?

Claims can be backdated for four tax years.

For the current 2024/25 tax year (which ends on 5 April 2025) you will be able to claim as far back as the 2020/21 tax year ie from 6th April 2020 onwards.

Where do I get more information?

Please use the links above or call the HMRC Self Assessment Helpline: 0300 200 3310.

The CSP are not registered to give personal tax advice and you should not place sole reliance on the general information contained within this document when submitting tax claims.

The CSP cannot accept any liability on this basis, and you should always consider seeking professional guidance when submitting tax claims.