First Contact Physiotherapists (FCPs) are physiotherapists usually based in GP surgeries with an expertise in the assessment and management of musculoskeletal conditions.
If your GP surgery has a first contact physiotherapy service, you can book an appointment directly with a physiotherapist via the receptionist, which means you won’t need to wait for a referral from a doctor.
You may be eligible for an appointment with a physiotherapist for the following problems:
- All soft tissue injuries, sprains, strains or sports injuries
- Arthritis – any joint
- Possible problems with muscles, ligaments, tendons or bone, eg tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, ankle sprains
- Spinal pain including lower back pain, mid-back pain and neck pain
- Spinal-related pain in arms or legs, including nerve symptoms, eg pins and needles or numbness
- Changes to walking
- Post-orthopaedic surgery
The physiotherapist will:
- Assess you and diagnose what’s happening
- Give expert advice on how best to manage your condition
- Refer you on to specialist services if necessary
Contact your GP surgery for more information.