In March 2020 the HCPC introduced a COVID-19 temporary register to help increase the NHS workforce in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Physiotherapists who are added to this temporary register (with registration numbers starting 'TP') can join the CSP's temporary qualified membership category to receive the support, guidance and resources required at this time.
The HCPC COVID-19 temporary register is open to all former registrants who have de-registered in the past three years. More information can be found on the HCPC’s website and on the CSP’s coronavirus hub.
If you have a standard HCPC registration number (starting 'PH'), please join the CSP as a Chartered Member.
Should you choose to join (or re-join) the profession on the temporary register, it is vital, now more than ever, that you have access to accurate and up-to-date information and guidance and the security of PLI and workplace support. (See the full list of benefits for CSP qualified members.)
The cost of CSP membership for physios on the temporary register
To support you at this unprecedented time, we have waived our joining/registration fee for all physiotherapists who sign up to the temporary register, whether you are joining the CSP for the first time or upgrading your membership as a retired, non-practising, lapsed or student member.
The monthly cost of qualified working membership is £33.43 per month.
How to join the CSP as a temporary qualified member
How you join as a CSP temporary qualified member will depend on who you are and whether you are upgrading your membership or joining the CSP for the first time. Please see the options below.
(Please have your HCPC temporary registration number to hand before you start this process.)
I am a retired or non-practising CSP member
How to upgrade your membership:
- Go to www.csp.org.uk/gradechange
- Complete all required fields
- Under 'New grade' select 'BI: Qualified member working (monthly instalments by direct debit)'
- Under 'Starting month', enter the current month
- Under ‘Reason for change’, enter 'Temporary register' and submit
- One of the CSP’s membership team will be in touch within 5 days.
I am a registered physiotherapist joining the CSP for the first time
As a temporary qualified member, you will have access to a wealth of information and guidance to support you as you practise during the COVID-19 pandemic. You will also have the safety blanket of PLI cover and workplace support should you need it during these challenging and unfamiliar times.
To join the CSP as a new member:
- First, create a website account (remember to confirm your email)
- Then log in to the site. Go to 'Your account' and click on the block 'Join CSP today'
- Start your application. Please note the following:
- Under Payment Options, select ‘Monthly’ and ‘This Month’
- Provide your payment details. (Please be assured, you will not be charged a joining fee)
Please note: the ‘Payment breakdown’ mentions a registration fee and an initial subscription instalment. This does not apply to members joining this temporary qualified category.
Click the 'Submit Application' button
- You will receive a welcome email once your application has been processed.
I was a CSP member but my membership has lapsed
To reinstate your membership:
- Go to csp.org.uk/account and log in to your CSP account
- Click on the blue box labelled ‘Your membership has lapsed! Why not renew your CSP membership?’ and answer the series of questions
- Select the membership category as 'Qualified member working'
- Under the HCPC registration section, add your HCPC number starting with ‘PH’ (e.g. PH123456). Please do not add any additional letters
(If your HCPC number has fewer than six digits, please follow 'H' with the required number of zeros, for example, the HCPC number "TPH123" becomes 'PH000123')
- Enter your payment details - no joining fee will be charged
- You will receive an email confirming your new membership once your application has been processed.