I don’t have the time or motivation to be active
Life gets in the way at times and as a result, physical activity can slip down your list of priorities.
But being physically active can help you prevent or manage more than 20 medical conditions, so it’s important to look for ways to build it into your daily routine.
You might find the following advice from physiotherapists helpful for doing just that:
- The current PA guidelines suggest activity in bouts of 10 minutes or more, but in reality, any activity that can be slotted into your day is good.
- Look for the quick wins - taking the stairs rather than the lift, parking a bit further from work, holding a ‘walking meeting’.
- Consider downloading smartphone apps to help you, many of which are free and simple to use.
- Set goals for yourself and reward yourself when you get there.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you miss those goals though. Give yourself a day or two off and then forget about it and start again.