The CSP PLI scheme does not provide cover for the treatment of certain professional footballers. Individual top-up indemnity for the treatment of certain professional footballers is not available.
CSP members who treat footballers must be clear on the type of footballer they are working with, and the terms of their engagement with any club. This is because the CSP PLI scheme has an exclusion meaning that treatment of some professional players is not covered.
The exclusion applies to:
- Any male professional football player of any nationality, signed to a club in the English or Scottish Premiership or Championship leagues
- Any male professional football player of any nationality, signed to a club in the top two leagues of any other non-UK worldwide league
- Any male professional football player of any nationality, signed to a club in the top two-tiers of English or Scottish leagues, (or other worldwide football league) and on loan to any UK club in a lower league
- Male academy players aged 16 years or older of the affected clubs
- Male players playing for any national/international team anywhere in the world, at all age groups.
The exclusion does not apply to:
- Male players under 16 years of age (unless playing for national teams)
- All female players
- All players signed to league clubs in Wales or Northern Ireland, unless the club plays in the English Premiership or Championship leagues.
This does not affect members directly employed by affected Clubs, as appropriate indemnity should be provided by the Club for your work. You should check the terms of that cover. Individual members who are self-employed, or who have a contractual relationship with an affected football club, and/or who treat affected players (either directly themselves or through a company structure) should ensure they have appropriate alternative cover in place or that the Club includes them in its policy for its workers.
This should not affect the provision of student placements with non-affected players.
Holding appropriate indemnity for work is a requirement of ongoing Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registration for physiotherapists. Members must ensure they have appropriate alternative indemnity in place if they wish to work with affected footballers. Members should ensure that their employer, or the Football Club with regard to itinerant (self-employed) football physiotherapists, provides the necessary indemnity. If an employer refuses to confirm the extent of their indemnity provision for their workers, then there may be some doubt as to whether adequate provision is in place.
- Frequently Asked Questions about working with professional footballers
- Professional footballers: refined policy exclusion wording for members
The CSP Insurance brokers:
Graybrook Insurance Brokers Ltd
8 Chandlers Way
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex CM3 5TB