The Leadership Development Programme is a two-semester modular programme delivered using a variety of stimulating, engaging and interactive learning methods to help develop your leadership skills.
ON THIS PAGE:
Have a question? Email LDP@csp.org.uk.
If you require specific information on the programme content, dates, rooms, or self-funded places etc, please contact the university directly:
UCLan – firstname.lastname@example.org
The CSP has run a successful Leadership Development Programme (LDP) since 2017, delivered to over 200 CSP physiotherapist members.
The LDP is delivered separately by two higher education institutions (HEIs): the University of Hertfordshire (UoH) and the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan).
It is an M-level/level 7 accredited module (or level 11 in the Scottish Credit & Qualifications Framework), worth 30 credits at The UoH and 20 credits at UCLan. It is available for all Allied Health Professions (AHPs) to take part in as self-funded participants.
Applications for the October 2021 and March 2022 cohorts have now closed.
Applications for the October 2022 cohorts will open in June/July 2022 (date tbc).
We encourage members from a diverse range of backgrounds across the UK to apply so that the cohorts are representative of the communities we serve. All protected characteristics are viewed positively. In response to the inequalities in BAME representation in senior leadership positions, approx. 20% of funded places are being prioritised for CSP members from BAME backgrounds.
The 2021 Application Process doc below will be updated ahead of the next round of applications, but may be useful to familiarise yourself with the current process we are following, including what we are looking for when scoring.
University of Hertfordshire
The next UH cohort will start in October 2022 (timetable tbc). This is a 30 credit module.
University of Central Lancashire
The next UCLan cohort will start in October 2022 (timetable tbc). This is a 20 credit module.
The CSP funds approx. 48 places for physiotherapists (24 in each HEI) each year using funding from the CSP Charitable Trust.
To apply for a funded place, you must:
- be a current and full practicing CSP member for at least 2 years at the time of application (provide membership number)
- be HCPC registered (provide membership number)
- be in a role with leadership responsibilities or opportunities, e.g. managing or leading others (a team, students, support workers etc) and have opportunities to undertake service redesign. Please note: to be successful within the assessment for this course you will be required to critically discuss your own leadership approaches and how you have changed your own leadership practice, as well as critically discuss a service change you hope to implement.
- have agreement from someone to act as your mentor*
- be living and working in the UK
- not be a locum
- be an aspiring/future leader
- not already be an LDP alumni
* Each participant on the CSP Leadership Development Programme needs to have a mentor. A mentor can be someone in your workplace, but they should not be your line manager. Your sponsor does not need to be a physiotherapist. The mentor’s role is to guide, advise and help you with your learning. If you do not have a mentor in mind, you should find one through the CSP Mentoring Scheme.
Your mentor will need to commit to:
- regular meetings with you, to review your personal development outcomes in relation to the programme
- advise and guide you during the time that you have committed to the leadership development programme
If you receive a CSP-funded place, you will be required to sign a Funded Participant Contract. Failure to turn up to the course will result in you being charged the full cost of the module.
You and/or your organisation will be liable to pay for this if you choose to withdraw from the programme after enrolment, unless you have evidence of exceptional circumstances.
If you're not successful in receiving one of the CSP funded places or do not meet the funding criteria, you can still pay to participate in this valuable CPD opportunity. Non-CSP funded places will have to be self-funded or funded through another source (e.g. work, your professional body’s Charitable Trust etc). Please contact the HEI directly if you would like to apply for a self-funded/work-funded place.
If you're a CSP member, you can apply for funding up to £500 through the Education Awards Panel. The award opens for applications twice a year – January to March, and June to September. You'll have to provide confirmation of your place and proof of how much the total fees are when you apply for this funding.
Prices (approx.) for non-CSP funded places currently are:
- University of Hertfordshire (30 credits) – £1,580pp
- University of Central Lancashire (20 credits) – £785pp
Our aim is to develop AHP leadership capability and capacity, through:
- developing leaders with a critical understanding of leadership styles and business awareness applied to their service
- establishing leadership development for AHPs that adds value to their personal development and their service contribution, and is applicable to healthcare systems across the UK
- enabling those taking part to influence and make a positive, lasting change within their work environment
- promoting the importance of leadership behaviours and roles in Physiotherapy and other AHPs
- demonstrating the CSP’s commitment to not only improving the leadership capacity and ability of the Physiotherapy profession, but also other AHPs, for the benefit of service provision
Each university uses a variety of provoking, engaging and fun learning methods allowing you to learn from the programme team, yourself and your cohort colleagues.
The two-semester module consists of:
- Up to 300 hours of learning
- personality profiling
- in person workshops*
- group discussions
- action learning sets
- online learning
*The October 2021 and March 2022 cohorts will be run completely online. There will be no in person workshops due to covid.
NOTE: details, including prices are subject to minor changes