The Leadership Development Programme is a two-semester modular programme delivered using a variety of stimulating, engaging and interactive learning methods to help develop your leadership skills.
ON THIS PAGE:
The CSP has run a successful Leadership Development Programme (LDP) since 2017, delivered to over 160 CSP physiotherapist members.
Have a question? Email LDP@csp.org.uk.
If you require specific information on the programme content, dates, rooms etc., please contact the university directly:
UCLan – email@example.com
The LDP is delivered separately by two higher education institutions (HEIs): the University of Hertfordshire and the University of Central Lancashire.
It is an M-level/level 7 accredited module (or level 11 in the Scottish Credit & Qualifications Framework), worth 30 credits and will be available to all Allied Health Professions (AHPs).
In 2021 the modules will be delivered entirely online.
Read the application process document below for details on how and when to apply.
University of Central Lancashire
The next UCLan cohort will start on 8 March 2021.
Applications open: 8 January 2021.
Applications close: 16 January 2021.
To apply for a CSP funded place at UCLan, download the two documents below and follow instructions. Applications will only be accepted during the dates listed above.
University of Hertfordshire
The next UH cohort will start 18 January 2021.
Applications for this cohort have now closed. Application results were announced on 18th December 2020.
The CSP funds 48 places for physiotherapists (24 in each HEI) each year using funding from the CSP Charitable Trust.
The 2021 LDP will be delivered entirely online, widening access to our members across the whole of the UK. We have made the decision to prioritise 10 of the 48 funded places for our members from BAME backgrounds. Furthermore, the Band 6/Band 7 criteria has been removed.
To apply for a funded place, you must:
- be a current and full practicing CSP member for at least 2 years (provide membership number)
- be HCPC registered (provide membership number)
- be in a role with leadership responsibilities or opportunities, e.g. managing or leading others (a team, students, support workers etc) and have opportunities to undertake service redesign. Please note: to be successful within the assessment for this course you will be required to critically discuss your own leadership and how you have changed your own leadership practice, as well as critically discuss a service change you hope to implement.
- have agreement from someone to act as your mentor*
- be living and working in the UK
- not be a locum
- be an aspiring/future leader
- not already be an LDP alumni
*Each participant on the CSP Leadership Development Programme needs to have a mentor. A mentor can be someone in your workplace, but they should not be your line manager. Your sponsor does not need to be a physiotherapist. The mentor’s role is to guide, advise and help you with your learning. If you do not have a mentor in mind, you should find one through the CSP Mentoring Scheme.
Your mentor will need to commit to:
- regular meetings with you, to review your personal development outcomes in relation to the programme
- advise and guide you during the time that you have committed to the leadership development programme
If you receive one of the 48 funded places, you will be required to sign a Funded Participant Contract. Failure to turn up to the course will result in you being charged the full cost of the module.
You and/or your organisation will be liable to pay for this if you choose to withdraw from the programme after enrolment, unless you have evidence of exceptional circumstances.
If you're not successful in receiving one of the 48 funded places or do not meet the funding criteria, you can still pay to participate in this valuable CPD opportunity. Non-CSP funded places will have to be self-funded or funded through another source (e.g. work, your professional body’s Charitable Trust).
If you're a CSP member, you can apply for funding up to £450 through the Education Awards Panel. The award opens for applications twice a year – January to March and June to September. You'll have to provide confirmation of your place and proof of how much the total fees are when you apply for this funding.
Prices (approx.) for AHPs/non-CSP funded places are:
- University of Hertfordshire – £1,490pp
- University of Central Lancashire – £1,290pp
Our aim is to develop AHP leadership capability and capacity, through:
- developing leaders with a critical understanding of leadership styles and business awareness applied to their service
- establishing leadership development for AHPs that adds value to their personal development and their service contribution, and is applicable to healthcare systems across the UK
- enabling those taking part to influence and make a positive, lasting change within their work environment
- promoting the importance of leadership behaviours and roles in Physiotherapy and other AHPs
- demonstrating the CSP’s commitment to not only improving the leadership capacity and ability of the Physiotherapy profession, but also other AHPs, for the benefit of service provision
Each university uses a variety of provoking, engaging and fun learning methods allowing you to learn from the programme team, yourself and your cohort colleagues.
The two-semester module consists of:
- 300 hours of learning
- personality profiling
- face-to-face workshops**
- group discussions
- action learning sets
- online learning
**There will be no face to face classes in 2021
NOTE: details, including prices are subject to minor changes