We are pleased to launch our equity diversity and belonging strategy, which has been produced in collaboration with CSP diversity networks, members, staff and stakeholders with direct experience of, or insights into, the discrimination and disadvantage faced by members and their patients.
Our equity diversity and belonging strategy has been updated following a consultation earlier this year where we gathered the views and feedback of members and staff to create the finished document.
Getting the content right has been critical. It covers our role as a trade union, a professional body and an employer, and is structured around the four aims of the CSP’s corporate strategy to ensure it is embedded in everything we do. It also links to our vision, purpose and values and was informed by our membership diversity data and our member survey.
Our equity diversity and belonging strategy starts with an introduction from the Chair of Council followed by our equity, diversity and belonging guiding principles, and the eight aims of the strategy (these are also shown below) with outcomes that will be measured under each aim.
- Download the PDF above
- Read the digital version of the strategy, which is split into three sections: the introduction, guiding principles, and aims and outcomes
- Listen to the audio version
- If you would like this strategy in braille or any other format, please email email@example.com
Aims to achieve equity, diversity and belonging
- To create a physiotherapy profession that reflects the diversity in society
- To develop members’ confidence and ability to change the culture, policies and practices of physiotherapy services to make access and use of services equitable
- To help our members feel they really belong by openly opposing discrimination and showing effective allyship, to make sure the experience of members marginalised due to their protected characteristics is positive, equitable and inclusive at university, when looking for work and at work
- To increase representation of members marginalised due to their protected characteristics among those who are leading and influencing the profession at all levels
- To encourage and enable members with different needs, identities, backgrounds and experiences to be active within the CSP by building a culture that makes people feel that they belong and adapting to meet changing individual preferences for how and when they want to get involved
- To build and maintain an inclusive organisational culture, where we promote diversity and where discrimination and unfairness are identified and challenged
- To challenge and remove any structural barriers within our organisation to achieving equity of opportunities and experience for everyone. This includes affirmative action in policies, procedures and organisational behaviour
- To build a leadership that reflects the diversity of society and actively engages with and is accountable for equity, diversity and belonging across the organisation
A glossary of language connected to equity, diversity and belonging has been developed in collaboration with CSP staff and CSP members from the member reference group formed in the development of the strategy. The glossary will be an evolving document and updated as needed.
The consultation on the draft equity diversity and belonging strategy ran from 9 June – 2 August 2021 and was managed by Enventure Research. Download the consultation report to find out more. The executive summary (pages 5-9) and the conclusions and recommendations (pages 59-60) summarise the report.
We thank all those members and staff who took the time to engage with this and as a result, a number of valuable changes and suggestions have been incorporated into the finished strategy.