The consultation on our draft equity, diversity and belonging strategy has now closed but you can still read the draft strategy consultation document
How was the draft strategy created?
The draft strategy below is a product of collaboration with CSP diversity networks, members, staff and stakeholders with direct experience of, or insights into, the discrimination and disadvantage faced by members and their patients.
Getting the content right in the draft strategy has been critical. It covers our role as a trade union, a professional body and an employer, and is structured around the four aims of the CSP’s corporate strategy to ensure it is embedded in everything we do. It also links to our vision, purpose and values.
Aims to achieve equity, diversity and belonging
- Create a physiotherapy profession which reflects the diversity in society.
- Improve equity in health by developing members’ confidence and capacity to take positive action to change the culture, policies and practices of physiotherapy services.
- Enable members to feel real belonging by visibly opposing discrimination and showing effective allyship to ensure the experience of members with protected characteristics is positive, equitable and inclusive at university, when seeking work and at work.
- Increase representation of members with protected characteristics amongst those who are leading and influencing the profession at all levels.
- Encourage and enable members with marginalised identities, backgrounds and experiences to engage with the CSP by: building a culture which promotes belonging, meets changing preferences and adapts opportunities to individual needs.
- Establish and maintain an inclusive organisational culture in which diversity is championed, and where discrimination and inequity is identified and challenged.
- Challenge and remove any organisational structural barriers to achievement of equity of opportunity and experience for all. This includes creating equity through affirmative action in policies, procedures and organisational behaviours.
- Establish a CSP leadership that is reflective of the diversity of society and actively engages with and is accountable for equity, diversity and belonging across the organisation.
A glossary has been developed in collaboration with CSP staff and CSP members from the member reference group formed in the development of the equity, diversity and belonging strategy.
The definitions have been written by looking at organisations such as Stonewall, The Equalities and Human Rights Commission, The UK Government – inc Census, World Heath Organisation, NHS Employers, GenderTrust, and the Law Society. Please note, they are not the CSP’s definitions.
The glossary will be an evolving document and updated as needed.