Mindfulness is becoming an increasingly popular way to promote resilience and wellbeing in both patients and staff in the NHS. Physiotherapist Karen Glass, who helps run mindfulness programmes for NHS staff, investigates the topic.
What is ‘mindfulness’?
- paying attention (learning to focus on what you choose)
- in the present moment (rather than the past or future)
- non-reactively (learning to ‘respond’ rather than ‘react’)
- non-judgementally (learning to see things as they are)
- open heartedly (bringing qualities of warmth, compassion curiosity and acceptance to your experience)
How might it work?
What is the evidence for stress reduction in healthy individuals?
How is mindfulness used in the NHS?
Why is mindfulness relevant to physiotherapy?
How do I find a local class or get started by myself?
- Karen Glass is a practice development physiotherapist with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and is a member of the charity Mindfulness Scotland
Key reference documents
- The Mindfulness All Party Parliamentary Group’s Mindful Nation UK report.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines for the use of mindfulness approaches in various conditions.
- de Vibe M et al. Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) for improving health, quality of life and social functioning in adults. Campbell Systematic Reviews 2012 doi.
- Chiesa A and Serretti A 2010; A systematic review of neurobiological and clinical features of mindfulness meditations, Psychological Medicine, 40, 1239-252.
Useful websites and resources
- Jon Kabat Zinn
- Professor Mark Williams’ meditations
- Professor Richard Davidson
- Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Mindfulness for Dummies by Shamash Alidina
- Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- You are Not your Pain by Vidyamala Burch and Danny Penman
- The Mindful Workplace by Michael Chaskalson
Key training and research centres
8-week courses: workbooks and online resources
- MBCT: The Mindful Way Workbook by John Teasdale and others
- MBSR: (free)
- MBSR: Mindfulness in 8 weeks by Michael Chaskalson
- MBSR: A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein
Number of subscribers: 2