Working as a physiotherapist outside Europe

Download guidance on the steps you may need to take if planning to work as a physiotherapist in a non-European country.


The World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) is the first point of contact to find out more about physiotherapy in another country.

It is the sole international voice for physiotherapy/physical therapy, representing more than 450,000 physical therapists worldwide through 120 member organisations.

The paper below is updated regularly, but the CSP cannot guarantee the currency of the information. You are advised to check and verify all information yourself before making any decision.

If you are not a UK national, please take advice from the visa department of the Embassy or Consulate office of the country you intend to work in, and from the relevant physiotherapy association or registration body (if any).

Working abroad: examples of questions to ask

  • Am I planning a temporary (less than six months) or a permanent move?
  • Am I seeking paid employment, or looking for volunteer work?
  • If I have a choice, might it be better to consider working in a different country?
  • Is my UK physiotherapy qualification recognised in that country?
  • Do I need to register with a national or regional health authority,

This paper below may not provide the answers to all the questions you have, but it will signpost you to some relevant sources of information. 

Download the full document (pdf, 15 pages, 0.5mb) below.