You will need separate insurance if you want to practice sports massage and you are not a registered physiotherapist.
Qualified physiotherapists, who are HCPC registered and ‘full-practising’ CSP members, do not need separate ‘sports massage’ insurance as this activity is covered under the terms of the main CSP PLI scheme.
Student Members may undertake sports massage work separate to their physiotherapy studies. Associate Members may practice sports massage outside of their physiotherapy related work. These membership groups need additional sports massage insurance and the CSP offers a suitable policy via Graybrooks
To be eligible to buy the policy you must:
- Be a current student and/or associate member of the CSP
- Hold one of these qualifications:
- Level 3 ( or higher) Sports Massage Certificate from Sports Massage Association Accredited Schools
- Level 3 Sports Massage Therapy Certificate from VTCT, ITEC or CIBTAC
- Retain your certificate of sports massage qualification as proof of eligibility to purchase the scheme.
No other qualifications are acceptable
The premium paid covers a fixed 12 month period from July one year to June the following year. A pro-rata premium is payable for those who take out the policy mid-term. Renewals will come directly to you provided you are still a CSP Student and/or Associate Member.
Student members do not need to continue their separate sports massage policy once they are a registered physiotherapist and they have moved into a ‘practising member’ category of CSP membership (either B or C categories).
Please either visit the Graybrook website for more information on how to purchase this policy.
Access relevant documentation
- Full policy schedule of the Student Sports Massage policy 2019-20: this document provides the full terms and conditions of the Student Sports Massage insurance policy. As with all insurance policies, you should read and understand the policy and talk to Graybrook Hallam, the CSP's insurance brokers, if you have any concerns.