Mandatory training requirements when you work in private practice

‘What mandatory training is required when you work in private practice?’

Alex Nambyiah is a professional adviser at the CSP
Alex Nambyiah is a professional adviser at the CSP

Mandatory training is a requirement of healthcare practice. However, the nature of the training will vary depending on your work environment and the services you provide. The CSP professional advice service often receives queries about what mandatory training is required when working in private practice.

Firstly, all members, regardless of where they practice, must know how to raise adult and/or child safeguarding concerns. 

Any work under NHS contracts may require adult and children’s safeguarding training in line with RCN guidelines.

The HCPC does not specify mandatory training requirements, but HCPC Standard 15 covers ‘safe practice environment’ and may inform what training you might need to update. For example, these might include manual handling and infection control.

The CSP does not provide a definitive list, but the following should help you understand your own training needs.

1. Review existing information locally

  • Workplace requirements – your employer may specify what you need and how often. If you are self-employed or a bank-worker, you may need to evidence that you are up to date in a range of topics.
  • Do you have a risk management policy? 
  • Are there new elements to your work – such as an expansion of service or new locations – to consider? 

2. Do a local risk assessment and consider:

  • The service client group – this will hopefully lead to having an informed decision on what safeguarding training you might require.
  • The health and care issues. 
  • The techniques and treatments used.
  • The service setting and environment and the broad operating context.

3. Level and nature of training 

  • Look at the training options and what is best suited to managing risks.  
  • If you are a member of Physio First or another professional network, you might wish to contact them for advice or find peer comments on iCSP.

Who pays for mandatory training?

If you are employed, your employer would be expected to pay for both the training and your time to attend it. If you are self-employed or a bank-worker, you should expect to pay for courses, as well as your travel and the time to attend a course. These may be tax-deductible as a business expense. 

Number of subscribers: 4

Log in to comment and read comments that have been added