Burning Question : Public liability insurance (PLI)

CSP experts give you regular updates on employment-related issues.  Got an issue you’re worried about? Ask your steward/student rep or, if you don’t have one, contact the CSP.  View previous columns here

Does my CSP insurance cover me for teaching Pilates classes?

If you hold the ‘full practising’ category of CSP membership your CSP professional and public liability insurance (PLI) covers all activities that the CSP determines are within the overall scope of UK physiotherapy practice. Exercise classes with a physiotherapeutic purpose, including the prevention or management of physical inactivity-related illness or health impairment, are within the scope of the profession.

So long as you advertise and deliver the classes as a physiotherapist, you will be covered by your PLI. You will need to ensure that you carry out an appropriate risk assessment and continue adhering to Health and Care Professions Council standards, such as keeping adequate records.

For more information, Tel: 020 7306 6666.
This is intended as general information only and does not replace individual advice.

Frontline Staff

Number of subscribers: 0

Log in to comment and read comments that have been added