Working in the UK – advice for non-UK citizens

This section offers resources for non-UK trained physiotherapists who want to work in the UK.

To practise as a physiotherapist in the UK, you will need to:

  • be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
  • be able to demonstrate your ability to speak and understand English to a required level
  • have a visa to enter and work in the UK.

The UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020. Free movement between the UK and the European Union ended on 31 December 2020. On 1 January 2021, the UK introduced a points-based immigration system.  This information will be reviewed and updated as arrangements are announced. 

Currently, physiotherapists are not included on the shortage occupations list.

How to register as a physio in the UK

All physiotherapists practising in the UK are required by law to be registered with the HCPC. Registration is required for all public, private and voluntary work. It allows registrants to use the protected titles ‘physiotherapist’ or ‘physical therapist’. 

Applying for UK registration
A chartered physio in a consultation with a patient

Visa requirements for working in the UK

If you are not a British citizen you will need to apply for a visa from the UK Visas and Immigration Department before you can enter and work in the UK.

More about UK visas
A pen lies across a paper application form for a visa

CSP membership

The CSP offers a number of resources for physiotherapists and students studying outside of the UK. 

Find out what resources and benefits you'll have access to if you join the CSP.

More about joining the CSP
A physio treating a patient's wrist

Frequently asked questions

Find the answers to some of the most common questions about working as a physiotherapist in the UK.

There's also information about joining the CSP if you live and work outside the UK.

Read the FAQs
Frequently asked questions about first contact physiotherapy
Last reviewed