Job Posting Title: Physiotherapist
Grade and Salary: Grade 7 (£33,309 - £40,927)
FTE and working pattern:
- 1 FTE = 37.5hrs per week/ hours necessary
- 5 working days in 7 (requirement to work evenings and weekends in line with agreed programme)
Organisation Name: Oriam: Scotland’s Sports Performance Centre
About Oriam: Oriam has a vision to inspire, engage and motivate our communities through the facilities we provide and the interactions we have with our customers. As a member of the team, you will contribute to the delivery of the strategy.
Purpose of Role: The physiotherapist will deliver innovative, evidence based services to Oriam’s sport scholarship programmes in partnership with the Performance Department coaches and sport scientists, to maximise performance of the student scholarship athletes across a range of sports. They will also be responsible for providing a physiotherapy service to the local community and partner groups under the auspices of Oriam.
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivery of physiotherapy support to Oriam’s sport scholars.
- Delivery of group recovery sessions, primarily for team programmes.
- Provide educational workshops to athletes to increase self management and awareness.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of coaches and sport scientists to provide physiotherapy support, educate, and contribute to screening and testing protocols where appropriate.
- Provide a community based physiotherapy clinic operating out of Oriam.
- Provide physiotherapy services for any agreed contract groups.
- Independently, keep up to date with the latest advancements (regulation, research and best practices) in the profession.
- Maintain clear and accurate records in line with Data Protection Act 2018.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be made:
- Completion of BSc (hons) or MSc Physiotherapy Degree (or appropriate iteration).
- HCPC registration as Physiotherapist.
- Practical experience of delivering physiotherapy services for at least 5 years (voluntary will be considered as part of this).
- Proven ability to work within an interdisciplinary team.
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages.
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant legal, statutory and governance requirements and turning them into good practice.
- Demonstrable excellent customer service.
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Masters in related field, on top of related undergraduate.
- Experience of working within a similar environment as outlined above.
- UKAD Clean Sport Advisor.
Competencies, Tasks and Responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities listed under the following Competency Headings form part of all management roles in Oriam at this level and it is expected that the role-holder will perform them to at least an effective standard at all times.
- Ensure compliance with the legal, health and safety standards in the area of responsibility.
- Monitor the budgets of the work area, making sure it operates effectively within budget constraints and ensuring appropriate stocks and financial records are maintained.
- Negotiating and managing contracts.
- Provide timely and accurate advice to customers and stakeholders based on your technical knowledge
- Assess the risks of various options and work with the relevant customer/stakeholder to achieve the optimum outcome
- Provide technical or specialist advice and support to others to enable development of strategy, direction and vision
Planning and Organising
- Plan, prioritise and organise your own work ant that of your team to ensure the timely delivery of agreed service objectives in line with customer needs
- Set performance standards and establish regular monitoring processes to ensure work is carried out and performed to the required standard, taking the necessary follow-up measures to ensure targets are met through effective performance
- Plan, organise, co-ordinate and facilitate meetings, workshops and larger events ensuring effective use of resources and budget.
- Monitor project status and take remedial action where necessary to ensure that projects are delivered on time.
Initiative and Problem Solving
- Provide advice and guidance on complex and non-standard queries, using personal knowledge and experience
- Use initiative and creative ideas to resolve non-standard problems using experience and reasoning to reach an effective conclusion
- Generate original ideas and innovative solutions through the provision of specialist know-how and advice as appropriate
- Prepare and deliver training and briefing sessions to provide tools, techniques and support to relevant customers and stakeholders
- Work collaboratively and effectively within your department, sharing expertise and contributing to the development of the department operational plan
- Participate in working groups within Oriam and externally if required, sharing ideas, experience and providing technical advice
- Provide support and encouragement to your team
- Build cooperation and set example by demonstrating a flexible approach at all times
- Cover for other managers in the department, including deputising for senior members as appropriate
- Create a positive image of Oriam by being responsive, prompt and courteous when responding to requests or enquiries from customers
- Comply with Oriam Policies when managing or processing personal and other confidential information at all times
- Provide timely and appropriate guidance and advice on policy, procedure, legislation and local processes and contribute to policy/procedure development
- Provide expert advice within your area of knowledge and expertise by acting as an internal and external consultant, advising on the development and application of, for example, specialist techniques and/or procedures
- Proactively seek to understand and react to the needs and requirements of the customer
- Work with colleagues within the department to contribute to the continued review and improvement of the service
- Produce timely reports for management as requested
- Liaise with internal and external teams, committees, bodies etc. to ensure an effective service
Clear and Consistent Communications
- Maintain confidentiality at all times by following Oriam policies and guidance in managing confidential information and personal data
- Using all forms of media, including Social Media where appropriate:
- Write/review papers, policies, guidance and briefings for internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Write letters, emails and other direct communication to individuals and groups
- Interpret, prepare, analyse and deliver reports
- Providing detailed explanations of systems, procedures or technical information both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate the Oriam Behaviours and University Values at all times through leadership, performance and behaviour
- Participate in ad-hoc duties to support the team/ Oriam and for personal development
- Support newer or inexperienced colleagues within and outside Oriam by offering support, help and advice
- Positively promote Oriam internally and externally through positive behaviour and supporting University-wide activities
This job description is intended as a flexible framework which outlines the key general areas of activity in your position. Other activities may be required which are not outlined above but which are appropriate to the position and grade. Your personal objectives (Forward Job Plan) will also set out specific tasks and objectives for you to achieve, including objectives to help your career development.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on date 17th April, 2022. Please include a CV.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our University community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups. For more information, please see our website https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/services/equality-diversity.htm and also our award-winning work in Disability Inclusive Science Careers https://disc.hw.ac.uk/ .
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.