- 25 days annual leave (rising to a maximum of 30 days depending on length of service), 11 days customary/public holidays and 2 discretionary days leave (pro rata for part-time staff)
- Healthcare scheme
- Northern Ireland Civil Service Sports Association membership
- A qualifying workplace pension scheme is available into which the Trust makes an employer contribution of 6% of salary
- Generous CPD policy, time off to attend courses where appropriate and payment of relevant professional body membership fees.
- Flexi-time Scheme
- Additional Annual Leave Purchase Scheme
- Generous sick, maternity/paternity/adoptive pay schemes.
- Death in service provision of four times pro rata annual salary
- Use of the Physiotherapy gymnasium at designated times
This Senior Management Team (SMT) position has responsibility for the strategic planning and overall management of the Department of Physiotherapy. The role includes developing and making good governance and shaping the strategic direction of the Trust whilst also ensuring effective service delivery. As a senior leader in the organisation, the Head of Physiotherapy is a key player in creating the culture and direction necessary to continuously develop as a centre of excellence in the provision of Clinical services.
The post holder will also be responsible for Trust wide employee well-being initiatives and Chair of the Staff Well-being Group.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Play an effective role in the development and implementation of Trust strategies and policies as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Lead and participate in agreed multi-disciplinary activities and projects across the Trust.
- Contribute to the development, and demonstrate a thorough understanding of, the Trust corporate plan, to enable a clear focus on priorities and recognition of how the Physiotherapy Service contributes to the plan.
- Continuously review and evaluate processes and systems seeking greater efficiency and improvements within the physiotherapy department.
- Responsible for the development, and monitoring, of departmental policies.
- Report to and advise the PRRT Board on matters relating to the Physiotherapy service.
- Development of an annual departmental business plan as part of the overall Trust business planning process in line with the Programme for Government and Department of Justice priorities.
- Develop and appraise new initiatives to meet the changing needs of the client group and current best practice.
- Manage other physiotherapists employed (both in house and outsourced) by the Trust creating high levels of motivation and high levels of individual and team performance.
- Conduct staff appraisals and link to planning appropriate training and development for departmental staff.
- Recruit new departmental staff as necessary including interviews and induction. Assist with recruitment elsewhere in the Trust as required.
Managing Physiotherapy Services
- Maintain and develop a rolling programme for the delivery of appropriate physiotherapy services within the remit of the Trust and the available budget.
- Liaise with a wide range of Trust stakeholders, concerning provision of appropriate physiotherapy services.
- Responsible for the ongoing management of the provision of regional physiotherapy services, re-tendering as appropriate to meet the needs of the service and to ensure Province wide delivery of PRRT’s Physio service.
- Contract Manager for the Regional Physiotherapy Service.
- Ensure quality control for physiotherapy services by development and adherence to the principles of clinical governance, including promotion of best practice, clinical effectiveness and risk management.
- Monitor and evaluate service outcomes and plan clinical and service audits to ensure quality and adherence to best practise and continual improvement of services.
- Responsible for the provision and maintenance of departmental equipment and evaluation of changing needs.
- Report to CEO and Board on performance measures as set out in PRRT’s Business Plan.
- Provide advice and assurance to the Chief Executive Officer and the Board on all departmental governance and performance measures.
- Risk management and reporting in respect of health and safety, clinical and business risk.
- Manage the departmental budget including compiling reports as required and liaison with the Head of Finance and Shared Services/Finance Manager to effectively ensure delivery of service against budget.
- Financial signatory for PRRT in respect of authorising budget spend for PRRT as a whole, when required.
- Financial monitoring and management of all physiotherapy contracts.
- Responsible for composing departmental business cases for procurement exercises for goods and services, in line with DoJ guidelines and to ensure that the requirements of the physiotherapy service are met.
- Responsibility for Trust wide employee well-being initiatives.
- Preparation of the Department of Physiotherapy’s annual report submission.
- Taking a lead role in respect of PRRT’s client database system. Including the development and implementation of the database in line with business needs.
- Ensure GDPR regulations are adhered to departmentally ensuring data integrity and security at all times.
- Is aware of and understand PRRT’s obligations in respect of the discharge of the section 75 statutory duties. Takes responsibility for the implementation of relevant actions identified in PRRT’s Equality Scheme and Disability Action Plan.
- Deputise when required for other members of SMT
- Perform any other duties within reason and capability related to the Trust.
- Updating clinical skills / knowledge, providing a high standard of care by using safe, effective and appropriate techniques in accordance with current research / clinical guidelines.
- Provide clinical cover when required. Conducting triage assessments whether at Maryfield or in the client’s own home. It is envisaged that approximately 25% of time will be spent on clinical duties. This may be subject to change depending on the requirements of the service.
- Deliver group exercise programmes as required.
- Cover direct supervision of clinical work in absence of the Clinical Lead.
This job description is a reflection of the current position, and is subject to review and alteration in its detail and emphasis in the light of future changes or developments. Any changes will be discussed with the post holder.
- BSc or diploma in Physiotherapy
- Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience, at least 2 years of which should be in the management of musculoskeletal outpatients at Band 7 level or above within the NHS or similar healthcare provider
- Post graduate experience in the management of chronic pain and/or long-term conditions.
- Post graduate qualification in management and/or leadership
- Strong people management skills and experience to include a minimum of 2 years’ recent experience in people management
- Excellent communication skills
- Evidence of ability to provide professional leadership
- Knowledge of current networks and resources in physiotherapy
- Motivated and innovative with respect to service development and promotion
- Experience in implementing clinical governance guidelines and quality control
- High level of computer literacy to include experience in the production of documents, reports and spreadsheets
- Experience in the presentation of complex service information to stakeholders and/or funders
- Knowledge of the promotion of wellbeing in the context of the work place
- Experience in the use of electronic client management systems including creation and management of electronic clinical records
- Access to a form of transport to meet the requirements of the post and willing to travel within Northern Ireland as required
- Experience of developing business cases
- Experience of procurement processes and contract management
- Experience of managing a budget/budgetary control
- An understanding of the issues facing the core client group
- Experience in recruitment and interviewing
For a candidate information pack and application form please refer to www.prrt.org/jobs
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the role an application pack and application from can be downloaded from www.prrt.org/jobs