BMI Healthcare, the UK’s largest independent healthcare employer. With 59 sites across the UK and over 10,000 staff, BMI Healthcare really is a ‘magnet for the best’ nursing, theatre and allied healthcare professionals, as well as non-clinical and support staff who underpin our growing business.
In order to continue the growth and development of the business we have an opportunity for a Clinical Specialist – Hand Therapy to join the largest virtual hand therapy team in the UK based in our London and South East region. You can expect to be based a majority of the time at the hospitals in the region working with patients requiring your support.
The team work with a wide range of consultants who offer a superb mix of caseload including trauma and the successful candidate will benefit from free specialist study days to continuously support your development in this niche area. Under the clinical leadership of Nicola Goldsmith this role would suit a senior independent practitioner who is looking to enhance their career.
Duties of this role include:
- Provide specialist assessment and treatment (hand therapy) for outpatients, inpatients, pre-admission and follow-up care as appropriate. Depending on training, this might include hand and wrist only, hand, wrist and elbow or whole upper limb. For the purposes of this role description, hand and wrist will be used.
- Support the team to deliver care that helps improve the health of the individual and wider community.
- Support the team in demonstrating compassion through effective relationships based on empathy, respect and dignity.
- Develop own competence to deliver effective care and treatments through improving clinical/technical knowledge / skill, and expertise following self-learning, specialist peer review, attending the biannual hand therapy study days and BAHT Level II courses.
- To build and develop positive working relationships with consultants.
- To demonstrate a commitment to ensuring quality services are delivered to both internal and external stakeholders through continuous improvement activities.
- To take an active role in supporting the implementation of national develops locally.
- To engage with the Upper Limb Services Manager for clinical support, organisation of peer review, specialist CPD and national operational processes and marketing.
- Make an active contribution to the marketing, promotion and development of the hand therapy service within the hospital, working closely with the local and regional marketing team, consultants and GP referrers.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) / Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT)
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
- Knowledge of CSP/RCOT and HCPC Codes and guidelines and their implications for practice.
- Extensive postgraduate hand therapy experience with a proven track record of clinical expertise within this specialist area.
- Experience must include orthopaedics, plastics and rheumatology.
- Must possess skills in manual therapies, splinting hand and wrist assessment and be able to demonstrate evidence based treatment techniques.
- Knowledge of the Care Standards Act and Care and Quality Commission Requirements.
- Strong organisational and planning skills, including risk management.
- Advanced training/recognised qualifications in specialist area. For example, BAHT Level I or equivalent plus further formal hand therapy education
- Maths, English GCSE at grades A to C or equivalent functional skills level 2 evidence.
- Proficient in the use of a PC, including the use of software and systems.
Salary & Benefits:
BMI Healthcare will offer ongoing training and development to the successful applicant via our dedicated in-house BMI Academy. In addition to a very competitive starting salary employee benefits also include Private Health Insurance, Staff Pension Scheme, 25 days annual leave + bank holidays – and many more discounts and incentives via our Perks at Work scheme.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please complete our brief online application form and ensure to upload the most recent copy of CV. We aim to respond to your application within 14 days of the closing date.