Financial support for students

Information about financial support for students applying to (or currently studying) pre-registration degrees. For further guidance, please speak to your university.

UK wide

The Student Loans Company provides information about loans as well as additional allowances and grants for students.


  • Student Finance England provides information on the full- and part-time tuition loan, the maintenance loan, the Disabled Student’s Allowances, the Childcare Grant, the Adult Dependent’s Grant and the Parents’ Learning Allowance.
  • The NHS Business Services Authority has information on the Learning Support Fund specific to healthcare students, on claiming Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses (for clinical placements) and on the Exceptional Support Fund (for students experiencing financial hardship).
  • The Council of Deans of Health hosts The Funding Clinic which provides funding information for studying nursing, midwifery and the allied health professions.

About the £5000 funding for AHP students in England

In 2019, the government announced that pre-registration physio students starting or continuing courses (from September 2020) will be able to claim £5000 towards their living costs. More information can be found on the NHS Business Services Authority website and in their FAQs. The CSP has also published FAQs.  



  • NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (NWSSP) provides information about the means-tested NHS bursary for students. (Those who apply need to commit to working in Wales for 2 years following completion of their course.) More information can be found at Student Finance Wales.

Northern Ireland

  • nidirect provides information for prospective AHP students.

Studying in a different UK country

  • The Council of Deans has created a funding table to illustrate the fees and financial support for UK students who wish to study in a UK country that is not their home country.

Coming from the rest of Europe

  • If you are a student from the rest of Europe, details on what you may receive can be found at

Overseas students

  • If you are an overseas (non-EU) student you are likely to have to pay overseas tuition fees and fund your own living costs. Please consult your university's website for more information.
Last reviewed: