Don’t miss out on your flu jab this year.
- Latest research shows that ‘influenza vaccines can provide moderate protection against virologically confirmed influenza’ in people of working age, though there’s a lack of data for older people.
Osterholm MT et al.
The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2011, doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70295-X.
- The new drug indacaterol (Onbrez) is at least as effective as the standard treatment for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), trials have shown.
- A 150mcg dose improved lung function as well as 80mcg tiotropium (Spiriva). Also, indacaterol was better at easing breathlessness, improving ability to carry out everyday activities and reducing use of reliever drugs.
Buhl R et al. European Respiratory Journal 2011: 38; 797-803.
- Workers who commute by car or public transport report worse health, poorer sleep, more everyday stress and less energy than those who walk or cycle to work, according to a Swedish study of 21,000 people working more than 30 hours a week.
Hansson E et al. BMC Public Health 2011, 11: 834, doi:10.1186/1471-2458-11-834.
- Facial exercises can be highly effective in improving function for people with Bell’s and other forms of facial palsy, a recent review concludes.
Pereira LM et al. Clinical Rehabilitation 2011: 25; 649-658.
Number of subscribers: 0