Working collaboratively with our clients when we get stuck: Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
Date: 13th June 2022
Duration: 1 Day
Venue: Florence Nightingale Community Hospital, London Road, Derby DE1 2QY.
Trainer: Dr Aftab Laher
Given the complexity of human difficulties and the myriad of psychosocial and environmental factors that can have a bearing on us, health professionals and our clients can understandably get stuck in our joint efforts to work towards meaningful health behaviour change. Motivational Interviewing is a well-established framework rooted in a deep humanistic and client-centred tradition that can guide us. This approach encourages a compassionate, non-judgemental and non-blaming ethos whilst collaboratively working with our clients to help them safely explore their concerns. In so doing, this approach, also challenges us as health professionals to work flexibly and to be open to addressing aspects of our own working style which might unwittingly be contributing to the ongoing challenges faced by clients.
- To explore the concept of motivation in the context of client work
- To consider “stuck situations” and reflect on how we respond.
- To give an overview and background to MI.
- To encourage you to embrace the spirit of MI.
- To learn about the four underlying processes in MI.
- To learn/ enhance core skills in MI.
- To be able to reflect on how MI can fit in with your practice.
- Attendance Certificate: Yes
- CPD Hours: 7.25
- £130 or £120 if booking this course plus the follow on Motivational Interviewing course