Graded Motor Imagery Online
The complete NOI Graded Motor Imagery course delivered over 3 online sessions
- Session 1: Wednesday 5 June 2024, 08.30 - 13.30 (BST)
- Session 2: Thursday 6 June 2024, 08.30 - 13.30 (BST)
- Session 3: Friday 7 June 2024, 08.30 - 13.30 (BST)
All times are London, BST. Please check your local time-zone.
What is Graded Motor Imagery?
Graded Motor Imagery (GMI) is an evidence based, graded, brain training programme which accesses the virtual body in the brain. It is useful for a wide range of chronic pain states where the central nervous system may be up-regulated, including osteoarthritis, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, phantom pains and ‘non-specific’ spinal pains. It gives new hope to many people in pain.
GMI involves the use of Apps, Flashcards, motor imagery, mirrors and Explain Pain education. In this course, participants are given the confidence and skills to use GMI immediately and to effectively integrate it into their current practice.
The course is structured around practical sessions supported by discussion of clinical applications.
This course is open health professionals involved in pain and stress management
At the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand the process of GMI and where it fits into an overall treatment programme
- be able to identify appropriate patients for GMI from both clinical presentations and research outcomes
- have knowledge of the scientific underpinnings of GMI
- have practical skills in using the three components of GMI
- be able to confidently translate learnt GMI skills to effective treatment applications
- The course will be presented live, by zoom
- The teacher and the participants are all present on screen.
- You can choose to have your video on or off for the lectures. It is better to have it on for group work but not essential.
- You will be guided when you need to mute your sound or make it live for discussion and group work.
- The course is a combination of lectures and practical sessions spread over 14 hours.
- There are small group activates in breakout sessions throughout the course where participants are allocated to a group to complete tasks.
- There are also theory sessions and discussion and question time.
- The teacher shares their screen to show PowerPoint presentation.
- You will be sent an online workbook and links to the Zoom meetings a week before the course.
Tim Beames MSc BSc MCSP, UK. Tim lives in London where he works in private practice and is co-founder of Pain and Performance, an organisation which focuses on the treatment of complex and persistent pain states and the provision of pain education for both the patient and health professional. Tim is also the principal instructor for NOI UK and teaches the Mobilisation of the Nervous System, Neurodynamics and the Neuromatrix, Explain Pain and Graded Motor Imagery courses throughout the UK, Europe and Australia. He is also co-author of the Graded Motor Imagery Handbook along with Lorimer Moseley, David Butler and Tom Giles.
You will need to download a Recognise™ App of your choice – Available for iOS or Android, phone or tablet. The Recognise™ App is an easy to use, portable tool set for the first two stages of Graded Motor Imagery - perfect for patient treatment with new clinician export features.
There are no pre-requisites for this course but if you want to do a bit of reading beforehand, the course is based on the Graded Motor Imagery Handbook and Explain Pain resources available from www.noiukshop.com
Attendees can receive a full refund up to 30 days before the event start date, less the Eventbrite booking fee. Within 30 days, no refund.