Explain Pain Online School – Participate live or watch on demand
Complete the NOI Explain Pain School in bite-size chunks, at a pace that suits you. ?
What is unique to Explain Pain School?
Explain Pain School is delivered over eight weeks, with two-hour live sessions each week and extensive clinical mentoring; the extended format has been a revelation for deep understanding and flexible clinical application of the Explain Pain approach.
The beauty of this course, all of the sessions are recorded. This means you can join live, catch up later on demand, or simply just watch the session again on replay. Each session is interactive and gives attendees the opportunity to share experiences and hear from others on the course. You will receive weekly exercises to create experiential learning opportunities to see how applying different elements of the educational process can aid work with your clients. You will be introduced to a wide variety of pain literature with weekly reading.
• The course will be live and delivered via Zoom. Links to the recording and weekly exercises are sent weekly via email.
• NOI’s usual high quality
• Comprehensive teaching materials will be provided
Session 1: Wednesday 6 March 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (GMT)
Session 2: Wednesday 13 March 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (GMT)
Session 3: Wednesday 20 March 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (GMT)
Session 4: Wednesday 27 March 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (GMT)
Session 5: Wednesday 17 April 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
Session 6: Wednesday 24 April 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
Session 7: Wednesday 1 May 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
Session 8: Wednesday 8 May 2024, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
Recordings will be available until the end of June
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
• The course will be presented live, by zoom
• The teacher and the participants are all present on screen.
• You can choose to have your video on or off for the sessions. It is better to have it on but not essential.
• The teacher shares their screen to show PowerPoint presentation.
• You will be sent an email after each live session with a link to the recording and any reading material/tasks which are to to be completed before the next session.
• You will be sent some online pre reading and links to the Zoom meetings a week before the course.
By the end of this course participants will have:
1. Reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity.
2. Constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy.
3. Gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
4. Gathered a collection of practical communication strategies, including: therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time.
Who will Benefit
This course is open to: Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
- Attendance Certificate: Yes
- CPD Hours: 16
- Basic Fee: £385
Tim Beames MSc BSc MCSP, Tim is a pain specialist physiotherapist and pain educator living in Tunbridge Wells, UK. He's been teaching with NOI since 2006 during which he has co-authored the Graded Motor Imagery Handbook, alongside David Butler and Lorimer Moseley. He is the co-founder of Le Pub Scientifique, a unique learning platform connecting people interested in pain to the latest science and the world leading experts on pain. He is also co-founder of Pelvic Pain Matters, a group dedicated to improving the lives of men suffering pelvic pain. Tim splits his time between his clinical role treating people experiencing persistent pain and helping to offer hope for recovery; teaching and mentoring healthcare professionals interested in growing as clinicians; and organising and running pain-related events.
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind. Pre-reading the Explain Pain Second Edition book would also be beneficial. Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future.J Pain 16, 803-13.