Getting help for foot pain

Following an injury it is important to seek professional if your symptoms are becoming worse or are not showing any signs of improvement within a few days. 

If you are struggling to walk a minor injury unit may be the best setting but remember that your GP surgery may have lots of different practitioners (such a physiotherapists, podiatrists and nurses) who can help decide if you need further investigation and offer advice.

Physiotherapist consulting with patient over cause of their foot pain

Painful foot conditions such as heel pain and Achilles tendonosis can be frustrating to live with. However, many people see improvement with self-management advice and trying these exercises.

When to refer yourself to a physiotherapist

If your pain is not improving after two weeks, or the exercises make your pain worse you could refer yourself to see a physiotherapist. Most people do not need further treatment or investigations and your physiotherapist is ideally placed to advise if you do.

What happens when I see a physiotherapist?

A physiotherapist will carry out a full thorough assessment of you. This will include:

  • taking a detailed history of your pain/injury, and
  • details about your medical and family history

They will then do a physical assessment to see how you walk and move including how your muscles, joints and nerves are working in your foot.

They will discuss with you the options available, and the best treatment programme that fits your needs. This may include a range of options such as:

  • a home exercise programme for strength, mobility and balance
  • Advice on pain management and activity levels
  • Hands-on treatment e.g. stretches, mobility, taping or applying a splint

Your physiotherapist will monitor your progress with the treatment plan, and help to you get back to your normal daily life.

In some regions, you can access a physiotherapist directly at your local GP. Find out more about this service, and the availability in your area.

Last reviewed: