Key points include:
- Physiotherapy is a skilled profession
- There is a shortage of physiotherapists and demand is growing
- Shortages are unlikely to be met from domestic supply alone
- There is political support for including physiotherapy on the list
The rationale for including the profession on the list is:
- Points based migration - physiotherapists and therapy support workers should be added if the list it is to continue as a feature of the points based immigration system.
- Qualifying for work visas - without inclusion in the list physios will not qualify for starting grade NHS clinicians in a future new points based system. This will create significant problems in meeting the growing demand for physiotherapy.