Everyone working in healthcare needs a good understanding of mental health issues – for their patients, for their colleagues and ultimately for themselves. Use resources on this page to develop your own awareness.
Metal health Awareness
You employer is expected under health and safety legislation and the Equality Act 2010 to protect your mental health and wellbeing. Read our summary of these obligations.
More details about the Equality Act here.
If work or university is making you unwell, speak to your CSP steward, safety rep or student rep. Please call CSP enquiries if you do not know who your rep is: 020 7306 6666.
In these difficult times we know many members are struggling to cope with high workloads and both reduced resources and support. The impact of constant change and reorganisation in the workplace is also taking its toll.
If this sounds familiar, check out the CSP's Pinpoint the Pressure resources to help you tackle high workloads and make positive changes.
Chartered Physiotherapists in Mental Health (CPMH)
CPMH is a professional network which aims to raise awareness of the role of physiotherapy in mental health. It offers peer support and meetings. Members can join the network via their website: cpmh.csp.org.uk/
Our suicide awareness member briefing has information to help ascertain risk in patients. It also has signposts to more detailed resources and links to relevant support services for patients.
Find out more
- The Samaritans can be contacted 24 hours a day: phone 116 123 within the UK
- Mind is a campaigning mental health charity. It has a wide range of resources and excellent support if you, or someone you know, is experiencing a crisis.
- Time to Change is a charity set up to tackle the stigma around mental illness. Its website offers many resources, including sections on bringing about changes in the workplace and the legal aspects of mental health
- For a more personal perspective, read what CSP member Tom said about the impact of his own bipolar disorder in the workplace: Managing mental health issues at work.
- How to maintain good mental health and wellbeing during stressful times