The Welsh government is calling for a complete overhaul of health and social care in the hopes of creating ‘one system’ to streamline four mutually supportive goals:
- Improving the health and wellbeing of the population
- Improving the experience and quality of care for individuals and their families
- Improving the wellbeing and engagement of the workforce
- Increasing the value achieved from the resources that are invested in services
The recently published Parliamentary Review of Health and Social Care in Wales makes ten recommendations to help reach this vision, starting with ‘one seamless system’ for Wales.
Philippa Ford, Public Affairs and Policy Manager for the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) in Wales said:
‘The CSP welcomes this review and believes allied health professions such as physiotherapists will be crucial to delivering the ten recommendations. We particularly welcome the aim which looks to enrich the wellbeing, capability and engagement of the health and social care workforce and acknowledge that any transformational change must involve staff.
‘The CSP also applauds the focus on putting people in control. Physiotherapy staff are part of multidisciplinary teams that aim to empower individuals to take action to improve their own health and wellbeing; it is central to the work they do and significant to help improve the country’s general health.’
The report also recommends bold new models of care with services organised around the individual and their family, as close to home as possible. It emphasises that services need to be preventative, easy to access and of high quality. They also need to be seamless, and delivered without artificial barriers.
Read the review in full here: http://gov.wales/topics/health/nhswales/review/?lang=en
Note to editors
For further media information about the CSP please call the CSP press office on 020 7306 1111 or email email@example.com. Out of hours please call Jon Ryan, head of press and PR on 07917 091 200.
1. The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy is the UK’s professional, educational and trade union body. We have more than 57,000 members, including chartered physiotherapists, physiotherapy students and support workers.
Find Out More
Number of subscribers: 0