Physios help older people Get Up & Go
Hundreds of members took part in the 2017 Older People's Day campaign.
The campaign was a terrific success with more than 400 events being organised by members. Many of these were designed to influence commissioners, GPs and other local decisions makers including MPs. These events helped to position physiotherapy staff working in the community as a solution to some of the biggest challenges healthcare faces; an ageing population and the need to encourage people of all ages to stay active.
- Extensive media coverage including a feature on BBC Breakfast about a CSP survey, which showed how few older people take any physical exercise. Physiotherapists gave a range of radio interviews on this story too
- The falls prevention animation has been an international success shared online in lots of different languages including German, Greek, Portuguese, Croatian, Dutch, Canadian French and Hebrew.
- Since the animation's launch on the 25th September it has reached 370,000 people on Twitter and Facebook, been watched more than 226,000 times and shared 3,700 times
- East and North Hertfordshire CCG are showing the falls animation in 60 GP practices and promoting the online resources in their practice bulletin as well as sharing with frailty leads
- A #physiotalk tweet chat saw more than 400 tweets on how physio can get more people to exercise.
None of this would have been possible without members’ hard work, but it is not over yet. The role of physio in falls prevention needs to be promoted all year round. Please keep sharing the animation, signposting patients and their families to the resources and act on any opportunities to show the animation to GPs and other decision makers.
Is your GP surgery showing the animation? If not, please ask them if they are interested. We can help with any technical queries.
Most GP Practices have a Patient Participation Group (PPG) that hosts quarterly health talks. These influential groups put the patient at the heart of decision-making and have the power to recommend improvements at the Practice. Try contacting your local PPG or Practice Manager and offer to present on the role of physio in preventing falls and encourage investment in physio-led falls services
Like East and North Hertfordshire CCG other commissioners may want to share the animation with their patients. If you have a contact at a CCG get in touch and ask them if they are interested in hearing more.
If you have any queries about the campaign or technical questions about sharing the animation, please email email@example.com
Good luck with your ongoing efforts to promote physiotherapy. Please do share your success stories with us.
Number of subscribers: 1