Burning Question - Can my employer just ‘pay me off’ to leave?

CSP experts give you regular updates on employment-related issues. Got an issue you’re worried about? Ask your steward/student rep or, if you don’t have one, contact the CSP.  View previous columns at Frontline Burning Questions

Can my employer just ‘pay me off’ to leave?

It is always preferable to attempt to address problems at work through processes such as mediation, conciliation or the grievance procedure.

However, it is possible for an employer and employee to agree to terminate the employment relationship.

The employer will usually pay an agreed sum of money which may or may not be more than notice pay.

In return the employee agrees that they cannot take a claim against the employer at an employment tribunal.

This is known as a ‘settlement agreement’. It is a legal requirement that you receive independent advice on a settlement agreement – you should contact the CSP as soon as possible for assistance.Tel: 020 7306 6666

This is intended as general information only and does not replace individual advice

Frontline Staff

Number of subscribers: 0

Log in to comment and read comments that have been added