Unravelling Strength & Conditioning for Therapists
Trainer: Andrew McCauley MSc BSc CSCS HCPC MCSP
This intensive 2 day course will give you an introduction into how S&C can transform your current practice both with athletic and non-athletic patients.
- Understanding the key principles of S&C & how you can implement these into early, mid and late stage rehab (from post op to pole vault…if that’s your sport)
- Why exercise prescription is more than just 3 sets of 10.
- How to identify the correct strength-training goal for your patients (& not just the sporty ones).
- Understand the biomechanics of strength training (This is more fun than it looks, I promise)
- How you can adjust exercise programmes for pathological conditions & get better, faster results (including guidelines on return to sport).
- How to increase your patient’s strength without hypertrophy or needing a gym membership.
- Why rest intervals during strength training are so important for the recovery of the nervous system & how manipulating this can affect the quality of your exercise programme.
- The difference between strength and power movements & why knowing the difference is essential in return to sport from injury.
- Why adjusting load is the key to managing overuse injuries & why light load can sometimes be not as effective as heavy load.
- Why fundamental movement patterns are essential for all your patients.
This course will include a mixture of practical and theory.
Suitable for clinicians working in physical rehabilitation/pain management settings including Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapist, Nurses, Counsellors, Psychologists, Dieticians and Doctors.
CPD Certificate of attendance awarded at end of course: 15 hours.
Fee: £260 (including refreshments)
Limited funded places may be available for AHPs & Nurses working for the NHS within the East Midlands.
Discover the art and science of strength training and why becoming a better coach is the secret to becoming a better therapist.
Practical on the skill of creating tension 7 why it is the key to strength training and how to apply it to your exiting exercises for maximum benefit. Hint: A bridge will never feel the same again.
The Secrets to exercise compliance part 1. Discover why physio and patient mind set is more important than you think and how understanding this will transform your practice and boost exercise compliance even in your most stubborn clients.
Transform your squat. Here we dive into the great world of squatting. We will explore regression, progressions, static, dynamic and how we can adapt it for most pathologies and clients. Discover the coaching cues that will enable you to coach all levels from novice to powerlift.
The secrets to exercise compliance part 2. Here we discover why keeping things simple and reducing the number of exercises you prescribe will immediately im prove adherence and athletic performance. Hint: this includes all levels of athletic performance from weekend warrior to professional athlete.
Hinge Practical. This is the missing link in physiotherapy treatment. Learn why patterns such as the deadlift and swing can destroy fat and lower limb tendon problems. Hint: most physio’s do not coach this.
Strength training NOT body Building. Here we explore; how strength training is king in fat loss & not aerobic training, the importance of muscle length tension relationship and the force velocity curve. The biomechanics of strength versus power and the reps and sets continuum. Hint: 3 sets of 10 is not wrong, it’s just not always right.
Pull, Push and Turkish get up (TGU) practical. Discover how to coach these movement patterns to your clients and why I use a particular strength training approach with most of my clients that will guarantee to boost strength gains without DOMS in 2-6 weeks. Hint: It’s not hypertrophy training.