Mulligan Manual Therapy Concept
The Upper Quadrant
17th – 19th February 2022
Venue: Florence Nightingale Community Hospital, Derby DE1 2QY Ref. 3018
Trainer: Thomas GC Mitchell
This three-day course introduces the MULLIGANCONCEPT™ to the application of Mobilisation with Movement the upper quadrant, cervical spine and thoracic spine.
Aimed at the frontline practitioner, the MULLIGANCONCEPT is a series of instantaneous and pain-free manual therapy techniques to allow assessment and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders to provide symptom and functional modification.
The course will provide the candidate with:
- How MWM sits within modern clinical reasoning and pathways
- Establishing when, and when not to experiment with MWM
- Self-MWM to enable patient-empowerment in their management
These interventions shall be underpinned by sound clinical reasoning in the application of Mobilisation with Movement on patients. Current rationalisation of the evidence base for the use of the Mulligan Concept and manual therapy will be considered.
MULLIGAN CONCEPT™ courses provide clinically-directed education in:
- Hands-on techniques
- Self-treatment and self-management strategies
- Taping and home taping techniques
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the underpinning theory of NAG's, SNAG's and Mobilisations with Movement (MWM's).
- Demonstrate and justify the use of spinal NAG's and SNAG's in the cervical, thoracic spine
- Demonstrate and justify the use of peripheral MWM's for the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand with reference to common musculoskeletal disorders
- Demontrate the use of self-MWM’s and treatment in the context of holistic multi-modal patient care
THOMAS MITCHELL: MCTA INSTRUCTOR
Thomas is the UK MULLIGAN CONCEPT™ teacher, gaining membership to the Mulligan Concept Teachers Association in 2016. He is also a team leader and clinical supervisor first contact physiotherapist for Primary Care Sheffield NHS trust, clinical lead physiotherapist for the One Health Hand Hub and private practitioner for Remedy Physio.
Thomas has been practicing physiotherapy for over 20 years and has a number of clinical and academic interests. He worked for ten years in the elite sporting environment, with posts with the English Institute of Sport, GB Boxing, GB Wheelchair Rugby and Sheffield United Football Club. He lectures internationally on topics including the upper limb, First-Contact Physiotherapy and wrist and hand, and speaks regularly at national and international conferences. Thomas is academically active, currently engaged in a systematic review of physiotherapy for the shoulder and contributing chapters to various textbooks. He is the UK Mulligan Concept teacher providing training in the rational use of mobilisations with movement in the modern clinical environment.
CPD Certificate of Attendance awarded: 24 hours
Limited funded places may be available for AHP’s & Nurses working for the NHS within the East Midlands