Explain Pain Summer School - Online, live and interactive
Sat out on your sun-lounger, a coffee on the patio or watching the kids at the park . Now you can do the Explain Pain course at a pace that suits you.
What is unique to Summer School?
- This is the full NOI Explain Pain course run over 8 weeks, 2 hour live sessions each week and a bonus live clinical mentoring session on course completion.
- Recorded sessions so you can join live, catch up later or watch again on replay.
- Watch or listen any time, any place, any where - from your sun lounger, walking the dog or while the kids are at the park.
Simple, easy and relaxed
The complete NOI Explain Pain course delivered over 8 online sessions.
- Session 1: Wednesday 6 July 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST|)
- Session 2: Wednesday 13 July 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 3: Wednesday 20 July 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 4: Wednesday 27 July 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 5: Wednesday 3 August 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 6: Wednesday 10 August 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 7: Wednesday 17 August 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 8: Wednesday 24 August 2022, 13.30 - 15.30 (BST)
- Session 9: Mentor Session - Date TBC
All times are BST. If you are joining from outside the UK please check your local time
Recordings will be available until the end of September
- Explain Pain Online – live and interactive
- The course will be live and delivered via Zoom
- All sessions will be recorded, if you miss a session, no problem, catch up in your own time
- NOI’s usual high quality
- Comprehensive teaching materials will be provided online for you to download
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
- The course will be presented live, by zoom
- The teacher and the participants are all present on screen.
- You can choose to have your video on or off for the lectures. It is better to have it on for group work but not essential.
- You will be guided when you need to mute your sound or make it live for discussion and group work.
- The course is a combination of lectures and practical sessions spread over 14 hours.
- There are small group activates in breakout sessions throughout the course where participants are allocated to a group to complete tasks.
- There are also theory sessions and discussion and question time.
- The teacher shares their screen to show PowerPoint presentation.
- You will be sent an online workbook and links to the Zoom meetings a week before the course.
Tim Beames MSc BSc MCSP, Tim is a pain specialist physiotherapist and pain educator living in Tunbridge Wells, UK. He's been teaching with NOI since 2006 during which he has co-authored the Graded Motor Imagery Handbook, alongside David Butler and Lorimer Moseley. He is the co-founder of Le Pub Scientifique, a unique learning platform connecting people interested in pain to the latest science and the world leading experts on pain. He is also co-founder of Pelvic Pain Matters, a group dedicated to improving the lives of men suffering pelvic pain. Tim splits his time between his clinical role treating people experiencing persistent pain and helping to offer hope for recovery; teaching and mentoring healthcare professionals interested in growing as clinicians; and organising and running pain-related events.
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind. Pre-reading the Explain Pain Second Edition book would also be beneficial.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future.J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
- By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders
Terms and conditions | Refund Policy
Attendees can receive a full refund up to 30 days before the event start date, less the Eventbrite booking fee. Within 30 days, no refund.
In the event of NOI having to cancel the course due to unforeseen circumstances notification will be sent as soon as possible via your contact details provided and registrants will receive a full refund of the course fee.
Course places are secured once payment has been successfully processed.