The complete NOI Explain Pain course delivered over 4 online sessions.
- Session 1: Thursday 22 Sept 2022, 08.30 - 12.30 (BST)
- Session 2: Friday 23 Sept 2022, 08.30 - 12.30 (BST)
- Session 3: Thursday 29 Sept 2022, 08.30 - 12.30 (BST)
- Session 4: Friday 30 Sept 2022, 08.30 - 12.30 (BST)
All times are BST. If you are joining from outside the UK please check your local time
- Explain Pain Online – live and interactive
- The course will be live and delivered via Zoom
- Class sizes are kept small to maximise interaction and time for questions
- NOI’s usual high quality
- Comprehensive teaching materials will be provided online for you to download
In a world experiencing an epidemic of chronic pain and increasing evidence of the failure of synthetic drugs, simple but extremely powerful educational tools can effectively target the natural pain treatment systems within us all.
Knowledge is power. In the new series of Explain Pain courses delivered by NOI instructors around the world, contemporary pain sciences are made accessible and understandable for all.
We know more about pain in the last twenty years than in the thousand years before and it’s all providing answers to “why do I hurt the way I do” and “what can I do about it”. The knowledge is applicable to young and old, from back pain to hemiplegia and general aching to the complexities of phantom pain and complex regional pain syndrome.
Explain Pain works to reduce catastrophisation and negative pain beliefs and when combined with active treatment, reduces pain and enhances return to work and play. Explain Pain has no side effects, is available around the clock, and you can share the knowledge and strategies with others.
Don’t miss this opportunity. NOI Explain Pain courses are fun, intellectually stimulating, based on evidence, always challenging, and integrate the Explain Pain ecosystem of Explain Pain, The Explain Pain Handbook: Protectometer, and Explain Pain Supercharged. You will come away with the most impressive therapeutic tool set ever!
- The course will be presented live, by zoom
- The teacher and the participants are all present on screen.
- You can choose to have your video on or off for the lectures. It is better to have it on for group work but not essential.
- You will be guided when you need to mute your sound or make it live for discussion and group work.
- The course is a combination of lectures and practical sessions spread over 14 hours.
- There are small group activates in breakout sessions throughout the course where participants are allocated to a group to complete tasks.
- There are also theory sessions and discussion and question time.
- The teacher shares their screen to show PowerPoint presentation.
- You will be sent an online workbook and links to the Zoom meetings a week before the course.
Tim Beames MSc BSc MCSP, UK Tim lives in London where he works in private practice and is co-founder of Pain and Performance, an organisation which focuses on the treatment of complex and persistent pain states and the provision of pain education for both the patient and health professional. Tim is also the principal instructor for NOI UK and teaches the Mobilisation of the Nervous System, Neurodynamics and the Neuromatrix, Explain Pain and Graded Motor Imagery courses throughout the UK, Europe and Australia. He is also co-author of the Graded Motor Imagery Handbook along with Lorimer Moseley, David Butler and Tom Giles.
A strength of the Explain Pain course is that participants come from many professions, so come with an open mind. Pre-reading the Explain Pain Second Edition book would also be beneficial.
Other related reading: Moseley GL & Butler DS (2015) Fifteen years of Explaining Pain: the past, the present and future.J Pain 16, 803-13.
This course is open to:
Health professionals working with patients or clients in acute and chronic pain and stress states.
- By the end of this course participants will have:
- reconceptualised pain and stress based on neuroimmunology, modern pain sciences and bioplasticity of homeostatic systems
- constructed a conceptual change framework to deliver individual and group educational therapy
- gained an understanding of the growing evidence for Explain Pain and recognise opportunities to integrate Explain Pain with other biopsychosocial evidence based strategies.
- gathered a collection of therapeutic narratives using metaphor, literal story and linked multimedia, and the skills to construct patient centred education interventions in real time
- developed the skills to use the Protectometer to identify immediately applicable and educationally informed multimodal treatment strategies
- built the confidence to plan and deliver treatment for all patients with persistent pain and stress, and educate other stakeholders