This beginners dry needling training course covers the foundational skills required to safely, confidently and effectively apply dry needling to triggerpoints throughout the trunk and pelvis. Delivered by Dr. Carl Clarkson, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an active researcher in the field, the course consists of a unique blend of online and face-to-face teaching, and ensures that course delegates have a strong theoretical understanding as well as plenty of practical experience.
What Topics Will You Cover?
Prior to the face-to-face component of the course, you will be required to complete a series of safety lessons on our online platform, covering contraindications, precautions and adverse events, as well as learning needle insertion fundamentals and pain physiology. A critical discussion will also be presented on the theoretical underpinnings of the triggerpoint concept, as well as the evidence base to date.
Having undertaken online learning, the face-to-face component will be a fully practical workshop covering needling handling and insertion techniques, identification of triggerpoints, integration of segmental needling, and the contextualisation of when and where dry needling could occur and what therapists should combine it with in order to gain maximum impact.
Following the face-to-face session, further online learning is provided in the form of case studies and multi choice quizzes to help consolidate your learning, making sure you feel confident to apply the learning activities immediately.
On successful completion of a Breeze Academy dry needling beginners course, course delegates are expected to demonstrate:
- Effective needling techniques upon the four limbs, trunk and spine
- Integration of dry needling into their usual practice
- Suitable identification of prominent and commonly used triggerpoints
- A clinical reasoning basis to the treatment of clients with dry needling
- Knowledge of prominent, pertinent, and up-to-date evidence supporting the use of dry needling
- An understanding of contra-indications, precautions and potential side effects of dry needling
- Theoretical knowledge on the safe application of needling at all times
- Effective management of needling side effects
Who Would Benefit From This Course?
This course is designed for regulated healthcare professionals looking to offer more to their clients, whilst also wanting to advance their own career and professional development. From Physiotherapists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and Sports Therapists, to Physicians, Nurses and Occupational Therapists, we have had the pleasure of teaching a large range of professions across the last 10 years, both in the UK and worldwide.
Why Study With Breeze Academy?
Global Reputation & Experience
Curated and delivered by Dr. Carl Clarkson, a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, who has taught dry needling globally for over 10 years, this beginners course has a truly global reputation and has cemented Breeze Academy as one of the leading providers of acupuncture and dry needling training worldwide.
Unique Blend Of Online & Face To Face
Carefully curated online content, both before and after the face-to-face component, allows you to access high quality education whenever and wherever you want, helping to reduce accommodation costs for those of you needing to travel to the face-to-face component, whilst also providing you the option to revisit learnings in a much more meaningful and engaging format.
Fully Evidence-Based Approach
Expert research knowledge is combined with practical, clinically relevant teaching to ensure you receive a fully evidence-based approach to the implementation of dry needling. This course has clinical reasoning at the heart of delivery, making sure that you’re able to make fully informed decisions on how and when to introduce dry needling into a client’s care package.
You will need to be a regulated healthcare professional, or in the final year of training to become a regulated healthcare professional.
Pre course learning - ONLINE
Prior to the face-to-face session, you will complete lessons on our online platform. You will learn:
- Contraindications and precautions
- Adverse events
- How to deal with adverse events
Identification and needling insertion fundamentals
- Subjective and objective assessment findings
- Pain referral patterns of common Triggerpoints in the trunk and pelvis
- Needle insertion fundamentals - Vigorous vs gentle needling
Theoretical Underpinning - a critical discussion
- Pain physiology and the impact needling has on descending inhibition
- Proposed physiological characteristics of a Triggerpoint
Face to face needling workshop
Here, we will dive straight into the practical application of dry needling.
- Needle handling and insertion tecnhiques
- Identification of Triggerpoints
- Upper traps, Rhomboids, Infraspinatus, Teres Major & Minor
- Quadratus Lumborum, Piriformis, Glutues Medius & Minimus
- Integration of segmental needling to compliment Triggerpoint needling
- Contextualisation of when and where dry needling could occur, and what therapists SHOULD combine it with, in order to gain maximum impact
We will integrate the pre course learning into this practical workshop, culminating in applying knowledge into case study scenario's.
Online consolidation - ONLINE
You will complete further MCQ and case study work, and have the opportunity to revisit videos on needling techniques and dry needling theory. On successful completion, you will be issued with a certificate