CPD Update - Optimising Acupuncture Effectiveness
22nd April 2021
Venue: London Road Community Hospital, Derby.
Trainer: Dr Stephanie Griffiths DPT. MPhil. MSc. PGCE. AACP Tutor
The CPD course is aimed as a refresher course for those wishing to refresh their knowledge on key aspects of acupuncture practice. There will be 3 interconnecting lectures which pull together a common theme of optimising acupuncture treatment. The lectures explore the key pain mechanism theories which underpin acupuncture point selection, the adverse effects of acupuncture, and the key needling considerations which ensure optimum treatment delivery.
- To review the literature related to acupuncture related adverse incidents and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the adverse effects which can arise following acupuncture needling
- To demonstrate ability to link practice with safety guidelines and adverse incidents
- To successfully relate own information in informed consent literature to adverse incident and safety guidelines
- To review the theoretical basis of Western pain mechanisms and demonstrate an ability to link these mechanisms to a series of case studies to demonstrate optimum practice
- To demonstrate the application of safe and effective acupuncture needling to appropriate musculoskeletal conditions within a physiotherapy problem-solving paradigm
- To review a range of alternative needling approaches such as superficial and deep needling and demonstrate an ability to apply these techniques to different cases.
Review of adverse incidents and supporting literature
Review of pain mechanisms- Optimising Acupuncture Effectiveness
Review of pain mechanisms- Optimising Acupuncture Effectiveness- continued
Needling Practice: Alternative Techniques
Development of proprioception, Development of Deqi, Deep and Superficial Needling
Trigger Point Correlation, Intramuscular stimulation, fascial cleavage/connective tissue stimulation
Case studies: Application of theory to practice
Questions and Review
CPD Certificate of attendance awarded: 7.5 hours
All delegates must have their HPC and CSP numbers before we can confirm your place on the course.
Fee: £140 for AACP members and £168 for non-members
Limited funded places may be available for AHP’s & Nurses working for the NHS within the East Midlands.