Compassion for Voices
Lecturers: Peter Ord and Mark Sanderson
This one-day event is for anyone interested in learning about the latest ideas and approaches from around the world in understanding and responding to voice hearing. In contrast to traditional Western approaches which treat voices as pathological ‘symptoms’ to be modified pharmacologically or psychologically, this conference is centred around the following philosophy: that voice hearing is a meaningful human experience which is best defined by voice hearers themselves.
The conference will take participants through the history and key aspects of the above philosophy, the perspective of voice hearers, as well as ways in which these ideas have shaped responses to voice hearing within both Western and non-Western cultures. Presentations will feature compassion focused therapy as well as narrative approaches, and ways in which these ideas can be integrated into everyday contexts.
From attending participants will:
- Gain a familiarity with the idea of ‘engaging with voices’ and how this compares to traditional approaches.
- Learn of the significance of the Hearing Voices Movement and the perspective of lived experience.
- Understand the key aspects of the Compassion Focused and Narrative Therapy approaches in relation to voice hearing.
- Be introduced to practical skills with which to support voice hearers using a range of methods based on the above ideas and given details of how to explore these ideas and practices further.
- Give people an excellent opportunity to make links with others interested in supporting developing these practices within their own contexts.
CPD certificate of attendance awarded at end of the course: 7 hours
Limited funded places may be available for AHP’s & Nurses working for the NHS within the East Midlands.
08:30 – 09:30
Registration and Coffee
09:30 - 10:15
Stories behind the Day
10:15 – 10:45
What is Psychosis?
11:15 – 12:15
Decoding the Diagnosis
12:15 – 13:15
13:15 – 14:15
Compassion, Culture, Human Rights and voice hearing
14:45 – 16:00
Validation and Relational Safety
16:00 – 16:30
Reflections on the Day Q&A