Year published: 2020
The CSP's response to the proposal to reduce funding for recurrent teaching in higher education providers by £58 million in financial year 2020‑21.
Summary of CSP recommendations
- The proposed cuts to the level of funding for physiotherapy education (per head), and other health subjects will slow down and could reverse growth in workforce supply.
- This risks delivery of the Long Term Plan and the workforce growth necessary for this, which were headline commitments in the Conservative Party Manifesto
- The presentation of the proposed cuts to high cost and high priority health courses are misleading and are higher than the consultation suggests
- The Office for Students has failed to protect the high cost/high priority health subjects as requested by the Secretary of State for Education
- The CSP urges the planned cuts in recurrent teaching grant funding for health subjects be paused in light of this guidance and the need to deliver the strategic workforce objectives of the Department of Health and Social Care.