AWSAM is designed for practitioners involved in the pitch side management of traumatic wounds, occurring on the field of play. It focuses primarily on head and facial lacerations. The course is delivered by emergency medicine professionals, surgeons and sports clinicians with a wealth of experience in elite sporting environments, who will outline common pitfalls and offer practice tips.
There will be an opportunity to practise suturing, gluing and stapling skills before partaking in realistic simulation scenarios in a supportive, educational environment.
The course covers the following:
- Assessment of players on the pitch and in the dressing room,
- Methods to obtain hemostasis,
- Identification of wounds requiring specialist referral,
- Local anesthetic use and adverse reactions,
- Simple wound closure with steri-strips, glue, sutures and staples,
- Documentation, safety, legal issues and aftercare.
Online pre-reading will allow the focus of the day to be on the application on knowledge, sharing of experiences and the enhancement of participants clinical, technical and non-technical skills relating to wound management.
Who will benefit:
Any practitioner working in acute pitch-side wound management.
DREEAM Department, A Floor, West Block, QMC Campus, Derby Road, Nottingham. NG7 2UH
Start and finish times:
08:30 – 17:30 (breaks are built into the course timetable)
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.