Year published: 2020
As part of the next phase of rolling out the long term plan, NHS England consulted on 5 service specifications. Each sets out important changes to the delivery of primary and community services from April 2020, with implications for physiotherapy. Read the highlights and download full response.
The CSP has highlighted:
- The need to include Independent Prescriber Physiotherapists in the list of clinicians who should be utilised for SMRs for certain patients
- The record of prescribing physiotherapists and non-prescribing physiotherapists in medicines optimisation, particularly de-prescribing opioid drugs.
- The need for physiotherapists in a range of roles, including FCPs, pain clinics, community teams, frailty practitioners and those with interface roles with Home First, Early Supported Discharge and Emergency Departments to be directly referring into an SMR service as require
- The need for physiotherapists and pharmacists supporting people with long term conditions to have access to the same shared records
- The need to develop the physiotherapy workforce, including increasing numbers of physiotherapists with advanced practice capabilities, including prescribing