NHS England has consulted on five service specifications, setting out how primary and community services need to transform, to meet the aims of the long-term plan. In our response, the CSP advocated for the crucial role of physiotherapy staff in patient-centred care.
Key points from consultation responses
We believe the following with be essential to enabling physiotherapy staff to transform primary and community services.
- Roll out of first contact physiotherapists (FCP), as an important way to free up GPs’ time.
- Recognize the critical role physiotherapists and support workers play in improving care and rehabilitation in the community, for people with multiple long-term conditions and those living in care homes.
- Support FCPs to take the lead on shared decision-making in MSK services.
- Enable physiotherapists to support medicines optimisation, including as independent prescribers.
- Expand the physiotherapy workforce and develop more physiotherapists with advanced practice skills.
- Develop the support worker workforce in community rehabilitation.
- Help to improve data collection by better aligning systems, giving more physiotherapists access to these systems and making effective mobile hardware available.
Responses to the five service specifications
Please contact: Rachel Newton, Head of Policy, email@example.com