The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy


View your shopping cart.

Working in the United Kingdom

An information paper for non-UK trained physiotherapists about how to register and find a job.

Information for non-UK trained physiotherapists wishing to work in the UK. 

File 217890

This document helps you to understand what you need to do to work as a physiotherapist in the UK.

You will need:

  • To be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
  • Be able to demonstrate your ability to speak and understand the English language to a required level
  • To have a visa to enter and work in the UK if you are not a British citizen or a national of an EEA country

All physiotherapists practising in the United Kingdom, including those from countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) and overseas, are required by law to be registered with the UK Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC).

Registration is required for all public, private and voluntary work. It allows registrants to use the protected titles ‘physiotherapist’ or ‘physical therapist’. It is a criminal offence to practise in the UK using either of these titles if you are not on the HCPC register.

This document explains the HCPC registration process and what the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) offers to support you during the application phase and once you are an HCPC registered physiotherapist.

It also provides information on how to find a job in the UK. Sufficient English language competence is required to practise safely and effectively, therefore the HCPC might ask you to sit a language test or provide other evidence on your level of English.

Following the 2016 EU referendum the UK is intending to leave the European Union and in this context the current arrangements on the mutual recognition rights for EEA physiotherapists may be reviewed in the future.

Download the full document (pdf, 14 pages, 0.2mb) below.


Back to top