The Code is centred around the needs of patients and clients. It sets out the high standards of behaviour that are expected of you.
It reinforces your obligation to adhere to the law, to all regulatory requirements, and as required by your employing organisation or education institution.
Following the Code is part of your contract as a member of the CSP. Doing so will enable you to take responsibility for your decision-making and for your actions, and fulfil your duty of care to those you serve.
The Code is built around four key principles:
1.CSP members take responsibility for their actions
Demonstrate appropriate professional autonomy and accountability
Act within their individual scope of practice
Make informed decisions.
2 CSP members behave ethically
- Adhere to legal, regulatory and ethical requirements
- Act with integrity, honesty and openness
- Engage with relevant professional and social contexts.
3 CSP members deliver an effective service
- Put the needs of service users at the centre of their decision-making
- Respect and support individuals’ autonomy
- Communicate effectively
- Work effectively with others.
4 CSP members strive to achieve excellence
- Seek to continuously improve
- Demonstrate innovation and leadership
- Support others’ learning and development
- Support the development of physiotherapy.