1. Winning in the Workplace – CSP reps’ fantastic work was highlighted with 50 ‘wins’ secured for members by steward and safety reps and the rep of the year awards. Benefits to frontline staff, management and patients were identified: www.csp.org.uk/workplacewins
2. Asserting Maternity Rights – The CSP won a landmark legal case on staff rights to accrue holidays while on maternity leave and CSP reps are working hard to ensure those rights are being enforced at a local level. We are also participating in a wider campaign on pregnancy discrimination www.csp.org.uk/maternity
3. Rallying for Our NHS – CSP members turned out in strength and steward Donnie Anderton spoke at a major rally in Manchester against austerity and attacks on our work rights, and for a strong NHS. We also joined rallies for the NHS and a lobby of parliament on the trade union bill www.csp.org.uk/takeaction
4. Supporting Non-NHS members – the CSP helped secure a better deal for hundreds of members employed by BMI Hospitals who were faced with a major challenge to their employment terms and conditions. We also won union recognition in a number of non-NHS organisations.
5. Championing Equality & Diversity – The CSP developed guidance on treating transgender patients and in a first, featured a transgender physio in Frontline magazine. Find out more: www.csp.org.uk/transgender
6. Boosting Our Regional Influence – The CSP has been pro-active in securing a voice early on in the planning for devolution in Manchester, while new social partnership fora have been established and revitalised in a number of regions, boosting the voice of CSP members: www.csp.org.uk/devomanc
7. Improving Communications – CSP reps are harnessing social media technologies like WhatsApp to boost communication, and more stewards are using Twitter. We have also merged safety reps and stewards regional icsp networks and boosted the quality and regularity of reps icsp content to help foster closer working and organising at a local level.
8. Equipping Our Workplace Reps – Hundreds of stewards and safety reps received intensive training from ERUS on a range of key areas, including commissioning, contracts, disciplinary hearings, diversity, disability discrimination, health and social care integration, managing change, mental health, on-call, patient complaints, sickness absence and social media.
9. Securing Compensation for Members: Awards to CSP members following accidents and injuries topped £130,000 in 2015. Of the 28 personal injury cases referred, eight were work-related illnesses and injury. More about the expert legal support through your CSP membership here: www.csp.org.uk/legal
10. Supporting Members in HCPC cases: Some 40 members were provided with intensive expert backing from the CSP in HCPC cases, with 14 CSP members receiving the comprehensive support package from senior negotiating officers and solicitors, as well as representation from barristers, in full HCPC hearings.