The benefits of physiotherapy research
Patient outcomes and experience can be greatly enhanced by a strong culture of physiotherapy research, development and innovation.
Such improvements bring about significant advances in clinical services. This in turn allows care planners and commissioners to fully appreciate the many benefits of physiotherapy interventions.
CSP research strategy
With its principle focus on improved outcomes for patients, the CSP's research strategy also seeks to:
- improve the productivity, value and impact of physiotherapy services and education
- strengthen its evidence base and translate high-quality research into practice
- increase the profession's influence as a discipline and key contributor to UK health care
Government health research strategies
Physiotherapy research sits within the wider context of UK health research and departments for each country develop and implement their own policies. Please refer to individual websites for more information on wider, national initiatives:
- National and England: NHS National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- Northern Ireland: Public Health Agency - Research & Development
- Scotland: Chief Scientist Office
- Wales: National Institute for Social Care and Health Research
Research Excellence Framework
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions (HEIs) and replaced the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
The framework is undertaken by the four UK higher education funding bodies and produces assessment outcomes for submissions made by HEIs. This affords accountability for public investment in research and produces evidence of its benefits.
See the Research Excellence Framework website for more information.