National advisory body: INVOLVE
INVOLVE is a national advisory body that is funded by the National Institute for Health Research to support public involvement in NHS, public health and social care research and development.
The INVOLVE website has an extensive range of resources for researchers including:
- Publication on public involvement in research
- Briefing notes for researchers on PPI
- Evidence library – a database of references on the impact, nature and extent of, and reflections on, public involvement in research
- ‘Putting it into practice’ database
- Document templates, for example, job descriptions and terms of reference
People in Research
A resource to help members of the public find opportunities to get involved in research and for researcher organisations/researchers to advertise involvement opportunities:
NIHR Research Design Service (RDS)
There are ten Research Design Services regionally across England. They offer support to researchers to develop research proposals for NIHR and other national peer-reviewed funding programmes.
They will give advice on PPI. Each RDS website has a range of resources for researchers and is particularly useful for information about local resources to facilitate PPI:
NIHR Clinical Research Network
The Network provides an infrastructure for high quality clinical research within the NHS. The website contains publications on PPI and useful information for patients and the public on why and how to get involved in research