The following documents provide the regulatory and practice framework that underpins the legislative introduction of independent prescribing by physiotherapists and podiatrists.
The Curricula Frameworks for Supplementary and/or Independent Prescribing Programmes for Physiotherapists and Podiatrists, and Supplementary Prescribing Programmes for Radiographers
The Department of Health has fully revised and updated the curricula that HEIs are required to follow in order to prepare physiotherapists, podiatrists and radiographers for a prescribing annotation with the Health and Care Professions Council.
These new curricula are owned by the Allied Health Professions Federation, on behalf of all the professions to which the curricula apply. Individual professions will take it in turns to host the curricula on their professional body websites.
The CSP is delighted to act as the first host for these documents:
- Curriculum for the full programme for those new to prescribing
- Curriculum for the conversion programme (for physiotherapists and podiatrists who are currently annotated as supplementary prescribers, wishing to add independent prescribing to their annotation)
- The Health and Care Professions Council's Proficiency Standards for Prescribing - these are in addition to the general standards of proficiency that apply equally to all registrants within a defined profession.
- The National Prescribing Centre's Single Competency Framework for all Prescribers (PDF download)
- Department of Health Frequently Asked Questions on Independent Prescribing
- CSP's Practice Guidance for Prescribers (PD026, 2nd Edition 2013)
Further information and support
The CSP acts solely as a host for the curricula documents.
If you require further support please contact:
- The College of Podiatry if you are a podiatrist
- The Society of Radiographers if you are a radiographer
- The Health and Care Professions Council if you are an education provider seeking information on the accreditation process for programmes, or an individual physiotherapist/podiatrist or radiographer with questions relating to training or standards for prescribing.
And if you are a CSP member, use the Q&A on our Independepent Prescribing page to find out what the changes mean.
Or you can contact the Professional Advice Service with any specific question you have: send an email to email@example.com.