A number of leading organisations offer healthcare leadership programmes. The ones listed below are established and well-recognised in UK healthcare.
NHSLA: The NHS Leadership Academy is recognised as the leading healthcare leadership training provider.
Health Education England: Runs a clinical LeAD programme across its England regions.
Kings Fund: A variety of programmes including women in leadership, as well as published research, policy and improvement projects within the field of healthcare leadership.
Leadership Foundation for Higher Education: Offers a Leadership Foundation in Higher Education, alongside a variety of programmes. The courses are particularly suited to those physios crossing practice/education/research barriers.
Effective Practitioner: Produced by NHS Education for Scotland, and offers resources and articles on leadership for nurses, midwives and AHPs.
Academi Wales: Produced by the Welsh Government, and has a full range of courses and programmes, including leadership.
Informal online courses
There has been an explosion in free online courses over the past few years, across a vast range of topics. The below sites offer free generic leadership training courses which include an element of assessment and certification:
- FutureLearn: Offers various short free courses on leadership and management.
- Alison: Offers a variety of courses in leadership and management, some certified.
- Lynda: Offers online courses in leadership, with a free 10 day trial.
- Coursera: Partners with top universities and organisations to offer courses online.
- Find me a masters.com: A useful search engine for those interested in a Masters.