The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy

Upgrade to CSP contacts system

Between 18 April and 2 May some membership-related services will be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience.


View your shopping cart.

External funding

Seek funding help for a study programme through external sources such as your employer, public bodies, trusts and foundations.

While the CSP's Charitable Trust offers you help towards the cost of a study or reseach programme, you can also look elsewhere for financial assistance.

Travel fellowships - apply now!

Harkness Fellowships

The Commonwealth Fund offers fellowships in health care policy and practice in the United States for mid-career health service researchers and practitioners.

Full details of the awards and application process are available on the Commonwealth Fund website:

UK professionals have until 16 September to submit an application - but make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to complete and check your submission.

Winston Churchill Travel Fellowships

File 116402The Winston Churchill Travel Fellowship is now open for applications and physios have successfully applied for these grants in the past.

Fellows receive a travel grant to cover return and internal travelling, daily living and insurance within the countries visited.

See full details on their website:

Qualified members

Postgraduate funding is available from a wide range of external sources: public bodies, public and private finance organisations, charities, foundations and trusts all offer postgraduate scholarships and bursaries.

Private funding can also be accessed directly through your own organisation: your human resources (HR) or training and development department should be able to advise on any funding support available.

You may be eligible for additional support for housing, working tax credit, council tax and other benefits. Go to your local benefits office or check your eligibility for these allowances on the Department for Work and Pensions website:

You should also approach the careers service at your chosen institution for advice on bursaries, student loans and hardships funds.

Grants Register

The Grants Register, published annually, is worth looking through for additional ideas about funding. It should be available at your local reference library or careers service centre. It is a comprehensive guide on postgraduate grants and professional funding worldwide.

Further information

Please see our information paper CPD12 Sources of funding for post-qualifying education

Associate members

National Framework for Support Worker Education and Development

This framework is designed to support and guide you in choosing learning pathways to further your development and is the starting point before you seek some funding.

It clearly maps the learning opportunities available to support workers including mandatory and induction training, in-service education, accredited courses, routes to becoming an assistant practitioner and entry onto qualifying programmes in physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

The Framework, developed jointly by the CSP and the College of Occupational Therapists (COT), is free to members and costs £10 for non-members. Contact our enquiry team via email or phone 020 7306 6666 to order your copy.


Back to top