The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy


View your shopping cart.

Working in Europe

The European Economic Area includes all the countries of the EU plus Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein. For registration purposes, Switzerland is also included.

File 171280
Physiotherapists must be correctly registered to work in European cities

Registration to work in Europe is governed by:

Working as a physio in the EEA

However, new rules now apply for working abroad in the EEA on a temporary, or occasional basis (for example during the ski season): see the CSP information paper for full details: Working as a physiotherapist in the European Economic Area (EEA) - what a CSP member needs to know.

European Professional Card

From 18 January 2016, physiotherapists wishing to register in another European country have the option of applying for a European Professional Card (EPC) which is part of the reviewed Professional Qualifications Directive.

For more information on the EPC please refer to the following information:

YouTube video

You may also find it helpful to watch the EPC video on YouTube.

For specific country information, contact the CSP Enquiries Team (ET) on 020 7306 6666 or by emailing

You will also be able to find more information on the WCPT and ER-WCPT websites where applicable. 


The Health in Europe Information Data Interface is a comprehensive search tool for European heathcare information.

British Overseas Territories

Because they have the largest populations, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Gibraltar provide most opportunity for working in a different setting.

Country profiles can be found at the Foreign and Commonwealth office.


Back to top