The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy


View your shopping cart.

Physios in print urged to claim for royalties

5 November 2010 - 4:00pm

Have you ever written anything about your work for a journal, magazine or book?

If so then the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society may be holding money owed to you.

The ALCS, which holds a significant amount of unclaimed money for health titles, says many health care professionals could be in line to collect secondary royalties for their contributions to academic journals, medical magazines or books.

Secondary royalties

Publications held by libraries, schools, universities, businesses and public sector bodies are usually available to be photocopied or scanned.

To make this possible all such organisations must purchase a licence from the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA). A licence grants them reproduction rights, allowing them to legally photocopy books, magazines and journals. The resulting income is collected by the CLA and provides secondary royalties for any writer whose work has been reproduced in this way.

Claiming your money

In order to make a claim you must first sign up as a member of ALCS. Life-time membership costs £25, which is deducted from your first royalty payment. If no money is collected for you then you won’t have to pay anything.

You can apply to join online or by calling 0207 264 5700.


Comments are visible to CSP members only.

Please Login to read comments and to add your own or register if you have not yet done so.

  • Anonymous

Tagged as

More from the CSP

Back to top